Gardening in the desert

I am cross-posting this with the hope that a wider audience will increase the possibility that I may get a fully vetted answer.
My wife and I are discussing retiring to somewhere between southern Nevada and northeastern Arizona. As a gardener, I'm looking for a resource on edible plants that can be grown in a desert climate - vegetables, herbs, spices, and even fruits.
Dick
On 11/11/12 4:52 AM, Dick Adams wrote:

Get a copy of Sunset's "Western Garden Book". Use the front section to determine your climate zone, which (unlike USDA zones) takes into account summer high temperatures, winds, humidity, etc. Then use the plant encyclopedia to determine which plants are suitable.
Of course, availability of water for irrigation should be a prime concern. In some areas, water is limited to indoor use, either by law or by pricing.
Where sufficient water is available, some plants that normally require full sun might thrive in part shade. For example, citrus can be grown in the desert in the shade of date palms. For this, you should consult the agricultural extension service in the area.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see