Gardening in China

Due to start work in industrial city near Beijing. Dry soil, air pollution and temperatures from -10C to 100C.... so what can I grow from seed over there??
--
Ted Mason

On 21/05/2012 23:18, Ted Mason wrote:

Temps from -10 to 100C??!! Do you mean F?
And you can grow anything from seed anywhere given the right conditions for germination - it's what happens to the seedlings after that you need to worry about.
I would hope that you get replies from those used to growing under such conditions, usually experienced in central continental land masses around 40 or so north or south of the equator. I guess you are looking at plants suitable for growing in USA zones 5 or 6, or the northern/semi-mountainous areas of southern European countries.
Not sure what the air pollution will do. What is it - mainly sulphur dioxide? It may cause problems, but every cloud has a silver lining - it will cut out a lot of fungal problems! In the UK, before the Clean Air Act became law, it wasn't difficult to grow roses as the sulphur dioxide made life very difficult for rust and mildew! But after the air was cleaned up, the roses suffered.
--

Jeff

Ted Mason;959373 Wrote: > Due to start work in industrial city near Beijing. Dry soil, air > pollution and temperatures from -10C to 100C.... so what can I grow from > seed over there??
Well gardening in China is good thinking but not always. In China some spots are where the population rate is very high so it leave a bad effect on gardening.
--
flake

On Monday, May 21, 2012 6:18:14 PM UTC-4, Ted Mason wrote:

100C? What ever you grow - you won't have to boil it ;)