Gardening in a balcony?

Hi all, I live in London UK, where it is pretty cold and I love plants but unfortunately I only have a balcony to work with...it faces west, I would like to have some advice on evergreen plants and trees to put there, something that may give a bit of green through winter, I like the feeling of a little wild garden, like a woodland maybe....I am looking forward to your advice, thank you!!

Reply to
laurap74

The problem with balcony gardens is desiccation from wind and low humidity and in winter the effect of freeze, thaw cycles on the roots of the plant in a container, it breaks them. I have a young friend who has to replace her balcony plants every spring (zone 5). Look for plants adapted to high mountains and the tundra.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo