Gardening in a balcony?

Hi all, I live in London UK, where it is pretty cold and I love plants but unfortunately I only have a balcony to work with...it faces west, I would like to have some advice on evergreen plants and trees to put there, something that may give a bit of green through winter, I like the feeling of a little wild garden, like a woodland maybe....I am looking forward to your advice, thank you!!
--
laurap74

The problem with balcony gardens is desiccation from wind and low humidity and in winter the effect of freeze, thaw cycles on the roots of the plant in a container, it breaks them. I have a young friend who has to replace her balcony plants every spring (zone 5). Look for plants adapted to high mountains and the tundra.
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:46:28 +0000, laurap74
wrote:

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago