Garden soil prices escalate

Page 2 of 2

The reference was to freight costs, not car mileage. Shipping things by truck has gotten a LOT more expensive over the past couple of years. The less "things" on each truck, the more expensive each "thing" becomes.

So what's your point?

Read the paragraph above - the one beginning with "We do use trains". Tell me if you think it's a sensible response to the one which preceeded it, beginning with "I am a retired Teamster".

So what's the big deal?

Quiet, troll.

OH MY, BUT AREN'T WE TOUCHY TODAY !!!
Now you know what pet owners have had to deal with, main brands of dry foor are not down to only 17lbs instead of the old 20lb bags and still they've gone up at lest $4 to $6.00 more in price, that's why I buy the cheap stuff in 20lb bags and all my cats enjoy eating it. Soil? Out here in the mojave Desert I just add steer to it.
--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

The pay the Teamsters make far far exceed the puny increase in gas prices. Quit crying Chicken Little!
says...

That's a very strange statement, in terms of the math. You're comparing an amount of money to the change in another amount of money. Or, an analogy:
Car #1: Top speed 120 mph Car #2: Does 0-60 in 6 seconds
Irrelevant comparison.
In article snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Truck travels 60 miles in one hour. How many gallons of gas is that? Let's say 7.
Gas at $2 = $14/hour Gas at $3 = $21/hour
Difference = $7/hour
How much money does a Teamster trucker make? How much money does truck maintenance and depreciation cost per mile?
QED
says...

Last I read, the average income for truckers is about $40k.
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 00:02:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Most truckers are paid by the mile, so in order to make a decent living they drive WAY too many hours to reach their destination and are prone to becoming addicted to amphetamines and other speed type drugs. It's sad, actually.
If a driver owns her/his own rig, the rig can cost up to quarter million dollars depending on what it is, and there are loans, road fees, tolls, private medical insurance, etc.
It is not a great job unless you love being on the road the majority of your time. I once thought about doing it with my husband as we prepared to live full time in a motorhome, but we're not ready.
Point is, truckers have to drive a LOT of miles to make that much. About ten years ago they made about thirty cents a mile or so. I don't know what it is now.
I am not crying at all. I was justifying the increase in prices. I am retired. Remember?
--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well