Garden Lighting

Page 2 of 2
Bella wrote:

But who wants to stand over a hot fire on a cold day?
--
Warren H.

==========
"..... But who wants to stand over a hot fire on a cold day?....."
Some people like toasted nuts.....
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Yeah but by the time the weather is conducive to BbQing its light until very late and a few candles are far more romantic :~))
Jenny

Indeedy! I want to throw trendy parties with our friends, BBQ, cocktails etc. Its my fiancee 21st soon, and I plan to have the garden sorted so we can have a big bash for her!
Ben

rock
only
daisy
no
possible to

10w
ask
Sure. Had it at the old house. Loved it. Gonna put some in here too.

For the same reason that people grow ornamental plants. For the enjoyment of the view.

Enhance the appearance of the garden at night.

No. I shall grab a beer, sit on the patio and enjoy the thing. Done well the whole thing is quite magical.

Sorry, hadn't noticed that the original message had been posted to the UK group.

I don't know about other people but the day time is when I work in the garden. Who can sit still during the day? There is always something that needs doing.

maybe
Please. A string of low voltage lighting typically casts the same amount of total light as a single 40 watt lightbulb. We are, after all, talking about little 4 and 8 watt bulbs. So tell me, do you make a habit of drawing blackout curtains on your windows when you have the lights on in the house? You should if you're concerned about light pollution since your unshielded indoor lighting causes a great deal more of it than low voltage outdoor lighting.

not
even
Different strokes ...

Different preferences in "magic" ...
Jim
Jim Voege8/4/04 8:38 snipped-for-privacy@SPAMsympatico.carShdc.38425$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com

<snip>
And a total loss of the *real* thing to the artificial. Big shame, IMO.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

I have gained a garden at night. What have I lost?
Jim
Jim Voege8/4/04 10:54 snipped-for-privacy@SPAMsympatico.caKSjdc.11021$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com

The real thing. But if you turn off your telly, turn out your house lights and illuminate your garden, sitting at a window to enjoy it, then that's your business.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

ask
Yes!
Have trendy garden parties at night with all our friends!

Maybe if it looks nice

maybe
Doesn't really matter to me, we live in a town, we have street lights already, I don't think 5 or 6 low voltage lights are going to harm anyone!

not
Good on him for trying. Last area I lived in had street lights installed and burglary, assult and car theft fell by over 75%! To many people are stuck in the *dark ages* on things like this, only seeing the negatives, and not the benefits! Would you rather see the stars, or be safe walking at nights! Sure, it would be great to be able to do both, but thats not the world we live in is it!

even
Ben Swindon
Ben Blackmore13/4/04 8:49 snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com407bbbd9$0$14927$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.co m

You must live in a much warmer climate than most of us.

But unlikely to be a nightly habit, is it?

All that light pollution had to start somewhere.....

We're perfectly safe walking at night here, that's the point that made his request so ridiculous. This is a small Devonshire hamlet/village, not a suburban housing area. There is and was no need for permanent lighting. If we walk out at night we take torches and if we go further afield we go by car. If a car goes past our house after midnight it makes us wonder who's up that late!
<snip>
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)