Garden Lighting

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm looking for some garden lighting, I like the look of those small rock lights, as they can be hidden amongst the flowers, however they are only 12v, and can only be placed 3-4m from the transformer, and you can't daisy chain them together.
I think I need something higher voltage, maybe just standard 240v with no transformer. A set of 5 or 6 smallish ground lights, that can be daisy chained around the garden (20m). It would also be good if it was possible to install multi coloured bulbs as well, (as the rock lights only support 10w halogen, and coloured halogen are 30w).
Anyone know of anything simular to this?
Cheers
Ben

Ben,
Low voltage lighting can certainly be strung out further than that. At our previous home I had 8 lights (2 strings) daisy chained and extending at least 20 meters. A standard (at least here in Toronto) Noma product. No problem. The transformer was stock too -- straight out of the box.
If the look of the lighter-weight low voltage stuff suits you, it is certainly the way to go. Completely DYI and very little hassle. Its sometimes a little fiddley to ensure good contact at the lights and connections but aside from that it's dead easy. Relatively inexpensive too.
Jim
On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:00:27 +0100, "Ben Blackmore"

I agree with Jim. if you get the right transformer, you can have a nice array of lights in series over a much greater distance than you have suggested. You might have to look beyond the home despot for pro-quality stuff (or maybe not--I haven't messed with the stuff they have, since it always seems to be broken when I see it at others' houses), but you can do it. I've had good success with Vista brand products (I have no connection with them other than being a customer).
I think using AC to run garden lights is a waste of juice, an eyesore, a maintenance nightmare, and a safety risk. 12V is safe, easy, unobtrusive, and efficient. I also prefer the spotlight/ambient light effect more than the floods you usually see in AC systems, but that's me.
good luck, K For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp . For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com /
Babberney8/4/04 3:30 snipped-for-privacy@FUaroma-FUmassage.com snipped-for-privacy@news.austintx.com

Look, I'm really sorry to rain on anyone's parade but perhaps you might ask yourselves if you really *want* garden lighting? Why? What will you do with it? Will you actually sit at the window and turn off the telly and look out at our night-illuminated garden? This country has (IIRC) the highest light pollution in the world proportionately speaking. I can understand garden lighting when you're using a deck or terrace for a party but to light plants at night? WHY? Can't you look at them in the day time? If you live in the boondocks and need to light the path to the house - maybe install something that comes on as you approach it and goes off rapidly as you enter the house. So - FWIW, you may want to consider less light pollution and more sitting outside in the soft darkness of a summer's night looking at the *stars* which will not have been blanked out by a something-or-other lighting your Skimmia or bamboo and all those of all your neighbours. Just a teensy thought.... A newcomer to this village tried to get street lighting installed once - not a shrewd move. I think he moved quite soon after that. ;-) On many winter and summer nights we go outside to look at the stars and even with the very faint loom of Torquay some miles away we can actually *see* them. It's another world, a magic, a revelation. And all our plants are still there next morning, in the *day*light.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
Sacha wrote:

Oh how I agree, the usual argument for excessive lighting is it reduces crime rate. How is that so, when I was young just after WW2 in Somerset my parents home looked out from the Mendips over the Somerset levels, the only light was looking up. Now it is all that awful yellow, and crime, reduced? I think not!
--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.

Apparently you aren't familiar with the tradition of barbecue (bar-BQ). It is where you cook outdoors on a grill (charcoal or propane) and eat outdoors. If the host has a nice garden, the bar-BQ may be held in or next to the garden. If the function lasts after sundown, outdoor lighting is needed. Frequently it includes tiki torches with citronella laced fuel to keep the insects down.
Stephen M. Henning8/4/04 8:41 snipped-for-privacy@aol.compighash- snipped-for-privacy@news4.west.earthlink.net

Ah. Now this may be because me and mine have a mutual view on barbecues - poor food, badly cooked, for the most part. We prefer to cook the food indoors, carry it into the garden and sit there as the daylight fades, watching the stars 'come out' and the bats flying around, listening to the Little Owls calling etc. You don't get a lot of that with artificial garden lighting..... OTOH, each to their own which is why my original post did say something about entertaining on a deck or terrace and understanding that lighting might be needed for that. I am querying whether individual trees and shrubs, bits of the garden, etc. need to be lit up at night, every night, for, what - exactly .........? How many people that do this turn off the lights inside their houses and sit at a window, gazing out into their spasmodically illuminated garden? Try letting gardens be lit by moonlight is my suggestion and if there's no moon, wait for the next one. Just another pov.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Poor old mother earth.
The unnatural light in the garden scares off all those nocturnal creatures that don't like light . . .
. . . you kill the insects so the animals that feed off the insects all die; then all the animals that feed off the animals that eat the insects all die . . .
. . . and you would rather look at artificial light than the stars . . .
poor old mother earth :((((((((((((
BTW in the uk when the temperature reaches a sufficient level to have a bbq outside, it stays light until it is too cool to be outside any more!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

ask
with
look out

You folks in the UK should understand that you live quite a bit further north than most North Americans and during the summer it stays light longer. In many places in August, for example, after you get home from work, have dinner etc, you're running out of light.
Jim

So why did you post your post to a uk group?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
writes

longer.
Actually, I'm at rec.gardens and when I replied to the original post at the beginning of the thread I hadn't noticed that it was posted to both groups.
Jim

I also have to confess . . . I didn't notice the cross post either :)))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
writes

the
groups.
Hehe. I guess in mid-summer you guys have to stay up pretty late to enjoy those stars.
Jim

In Scotland you hardly have time at all :(
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
writes

enjoy
Hehe. I know what you mean. Some of my countrymen who live way, way up have literally no time at all.
Interesting growing season up there. So short. But so intense.
Jim

Ah, that be my fault! I like to get as many views on a subject as possible! Posting to just the UK group would have meant missing out on other contries views, and they might have had a different product that I could order online to what we have here in the UK.
Ben

Wow! I can save a fortune on charcoal and firelighters if that's true!

We still use a fire, but we brush the ice and snow off the grill before we start. Sometimes we take the food indoors to eat, unless we have a neighbor that gets up tight about outdoor light. Then we brush the ice and snow off the picnic table and eat there so we don't have the indoor lights shining out the windows of the house upsetting our neighbor. Sometimes we even take the Scouts camping in the middle of winter and eat and sleep under the stars.
Bella9/4/04 7:47 snipped-for-privacy@abuse.comIrdc.1016$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.mts.net

I found a hailstorm, in Jersey, in April gave the lie to that for me. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)