Garden help ... complete novice!

Hi there,
We moved into our first house last year and I have just got around to looking at the garden. It is not terribly big but it needs some work and I need some advice!
I think I will try and break these issues down:
1) Fence -bush. We just had a new fence put up and the big bush that was against it has been chopped down to ground level. The roots however are still there - does this mean it will grow back eventually? The problem it has created is that our neighbours can see more easily into our garden! IF the bush does grow back against the new fence how long is this likely to take? If not should I dig it up completely and plant something else? What would you recommend as an alternative?
2) The grass is VERY dry and in places VERy patchy. What is the best way to approach this. I do, ideally want some nice green grass growing there but I am not sure how to go about this?
That's it for now - hope you can help!
ES
--
estheblessed

Question 2: Assuming it's still cool enough where you live to plant grass, you can seed the patchy areas and over them with burlap, which you hold in place with bricks or stones. This accomplishes 3 things:
1) Keeps birds from munching the seed
2) Helps retain moisture
3) Keeps the seed from being redistributed unevenly when you water it, which you will have to do gently at least once a day, preferably 2-3 times a day.
On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:02:11 +0100, estheblessed
wrote:

Question #1 - Depends upon the type of bush - a little more details wouldn't hurt.
Knowing your zone also helps in recommending quick / large growing shrubs.
Photinia, euonymous "manhattan", forsynthia, cypress, crepe myrtles are all reasonably fast growing. Ilex crenata "chesapeake" , "compacta" are slower growing.... Some Southern Azalea's grow 'reasonably' fast...
Another alternative to quick growing.... visit your local nursery and purchase 'mature' plants.... Many carry 8 - 15 foot stock... instant landscaping, you're purchasing time, an invaluable commodity.
Peter