Garden Edging

I need several hundred feet of edging to create a mowing strip to keep weeds and grass from growing up around the house and fencing.
Ten feet of the 12" x 11/2" material is almost $50.00. That's WAY more than I can afford.
I have read about placing several sheets of newspaper covered with mulch where you want to kill all the grass and weeds to make room for a new garden bed.
My thought is to fold several sheets of newspaper, shove it up against the house and fencing, wet it down than cover it neatly with a heavy layer of mulch.
Have any of you tried this, if so how does it work? Is it worth the effort?
Thanks,
Hound Dog
Hound Dog wrote:

As long as the newspaper or mulch isn't coming in contact with wood it's a workable idea. You can't just lay it on top of live grass or weeds, and expect it to work. You'll have to kill as much of the growth as you can. Hit it with RoundUp, let it die, and mow it down as best you can before putting the newspaper and mulch on. (You only need to wet down the newspaper if the wind is blowing it away before you can get the mulch on it to weight it down.
Don't forget to use an edger to slice-off the roots of the running grass below the surface, and regularly edge it. The problem with grass isn't so much what's on top, but those runners. If you don't edge it regularly, all your work this year will just need to be redone two years from now.
--
Warren H.

Yes you can.

Yup. All edging does is slow down those runners. If you keep on top of the runners, you don't need edging.
sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com

Never tried that, but I've found bricks or narrow pavers are a good way to go. Place them right at the soil level, and the wheels of the mower will ride on them & take care of the grass edge. Obviously, this costs, but it's permanent. And, the stones don't cause any problems when you periodically need to go around with a spade or edging tool to cut the grass runners.