Garden Barriers

I live in NC (Zone 7b) and have a small veggie garden. (21'x42'). It seems like I spend most of my time pulling envasive Burmuda Grass. It doesn't start growing actively until after my garden is up and growing. Can anyone tell me of a barrier to keep it out? I hear RR ties have chemicals thar aren't good for the garden. Any Ideas?
Cameron Eller Salisbury, NC
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 03:30:32 GMT, "Cameron Eller"

I use cedar logs, or whatever other logs I have available. My garden is on a slope and this helps divert washing rainwater around the garden. Also, this makes a good place to fasten the bottom of a fence, if you have one.

I lay cardboard on the beds, and punch holes where I need to plant. The cardboard is gone in a few months here in MI. When I buy something I always save the box. In NC, you may want to add extra layers of newspapers or other slowly degrading material. Leaves or woodchips are less effective with these invasive grasses as they can push their way through. Thickly matted leaves which have not yet decomposed work also. Whatever can prevent the grass from emerging.