Fungus-resistant shrub for shady area??

We have a spot iln our garden where we have lost an azalea and a viburnum to a fungus of some sort. (Verticillium wilt is common in our area, but there are other possibilities too.)
The site is mostly shade, in Seattle, which is moist and mild in winter, but dry in summer.
Any suggestions for a shrub in a space about 5 x 5 feet? We would like something with either a distinctive character or color.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Dwight Gibb
Dwight;980473 Wrote:

you need to plan some new plants.
--
thomaspoul

On 4/8/13 8:02 PM, Dwight wrote:

Azaleas should have done quite well there. The problem might have been soil that does not drain well; azaleas need soil that is constantly moist but never wet. They also require an acidic soil, which also inhibits fungus.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see