Fungus in soil (?) stunts my rose....at least I think

I have a rose that just won't grow. I dug it up today and there is a whiteish substance in the soil.
See photos:
http://yfrog.com/6qdscn0012aj
http://yfrog.com/aqdscn0013j
I have no idea of what this is, but it doesn't look helpful. Any ideas about it is and what to do when I encounter it in the future.
thanks
elfa
I can see long brownish spot on the stem (??) have a look at those pictures of different desease of roses and look if you see similar symptoms http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/home%20living/gardening/rose%20diseases.html
ewa