Fungus gnats indoors

Ok, so how about the issue of fungus gnats indoors, that started in my house plants and got into the drains too?

Reply to
Good Granny

Fungus gnats are attracted by a combination of moisture and nutrients.

For your flower pots, do not water so often. I water my house plants once a week. Allowing the surface of the potting mix to dry discourages the gnats. Note that I use a home-made potting mix that allows roots to obtain water even when the mix is becoming dry. See my .

For your drains, I can advise you only if you are on a sewer system. Do not try this if you are on a septic system or leach lines. Once a month, pour 1 cup of household ammonia down each drain, two cups for drains that are far from your main sewer line. Wait 20-30 minutes. Then pour boiling water down the drains, about 2 quarts each. This should clean your drain lines to the point where there are insufficient nutrients to attract gnats. (Do not bother treating your toilets, which will have plain water after each flush.)

Reply to
David E. Ross