Fungus gnats

I have an outbreak of fungus gnats in my indoor plants. Some of these plants are tomato, peppers, etc to be transplanted into the outdoor garden. Other plants are houseplants. The cactus plants are not infected, I think because these are watered once a month and the soil is dry most of the time. What kinds of control (or better yet elimination) are available that are safe and practical for indoor use and for edible plants? I do not have any pets nor children. TIA

Gardens Alive is the only place I know which sells Bt I H-14 and that is the only strain of Bt which truly works. Or, cut back the water. You may be over watering.
Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top of the soil. They'll disappear within seconds and won't come back. Try it, it works!
Val

Val wrote:

But, to where do the disappear?
Pennyaline wrote:

D'oh!
"To where do they..." They!!!
I have tried the cinnamon trick, learnd from an earlier post in this newsgroup, and I can firmly attest it has no impact on my gnats whatsoever. They happily crawl all over even a thick layer of cinnamon, and their population seems to be as healthy and large as ever.
Maybe yor gnats are a different species.

I've taken our cinnamon trick to another level. After Henriette's suggestion about using chamomile, I found a reference that suggested using crushed garlic cloves in the tea, so I have added that to the cinnamon.
I apply it with my sprayer, with which I water.
I haven't seen a speck of fungus, mold, mildew, or gnats. Haven't lost a single seedling.
It smells kinda funky though, especially when you add fish emulsion to the mix for the transplants.
Charlie

ground cinnamon. sprinkle liberally (no place for conservatives here<g>) or, if you have an outbreak of Asian Ladybugs, they'll eat fungus gnat larvae. lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Go get a package of "Mosquito dunks". Break one in quarters and put a quarter of one in your watering can. It contains BT which will kill the larvae in the soil. Sticky traps will get the adults.

re "I do not have any pets nor children"
Your health is also important! Some of my thoughts on the toipic. http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/spring.html Just my thoughts I guess.
--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.