** FUNGUS - Cyrtostachys renda **

Please take a look at the following picture (focus is not great):

have noticed some black spots on the crown shaft. Sometimes I think I can remove them by carefully scratching them with my finger nail although I really don't know if this is a normal feature of the Cyrtostachys renda or if it is a type of fungus. I have been using a topical / contact based fungicide a bit but not sure whether I need it or if it is helping. If it is a fungus, maybe I need a stronger systemic fungicide?

I am just not familiar with this plant and was wondering if anything thinks this is the normal look of the crownshaft (ie. to have some blace small spots on it). It is a relatively small plant (3-5 gallon). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I am growing it in Palm Beach County, FL (zone 10) and I bring it in any night that I think the temperature will drop to 65 degrees F or lower.

Thanks,

-David

Reply to
cgu

normal

Reply to
told2b

Your picture looks great! But your picture seems to show clear algae / moss rather than what I have. I assume you are simply letting me know they can look dirty or less than perfect. I just thought it was strange that these black spots (in many cases) can be slightly scratched off with a finger nail.

Where are you growing your plant? It looks like its in a swamp.. = )

Reply to
drywash47

Your picture looks great! But your picture seems to show clear algae / moss rather than what I have. I assume you are simply letting me know they can look dirty or less than perfect. I just thought it was strange that these black spots (in many cases) can be slightly scratched off with a finger nail.

Where are you growing your plant? It looks like its in a swamp.. = )

Reply to
drywash47

Sorry for the confusion. They are not my plants or pictures. They are from a German "Geography and restaurant economics" site run by Paul Hoffman. Paul's pic was of a plant in Costa Rico. I just wanted to show you that plant's stems so that you wouldn't go to extremes and kill your plant trying to help it.

Reply to
told2b