fungus amongst us

I am pretty sure I had a crappy veggie garden last year because of fungus. question is, whet do I do about it?

-thanks Rob

Reply to
longshot

Use a fungicide, Einstein.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.....

Clean up.

Use composted material that gets hot. EG Hot Manures otherwise aerobic energy (Turn your piles) and leave to rest for a few years. Sounds like a long time but once in this mode there is always new material.

Check PH

Purchase good seed and healthy plants.

Water Less from above.

Rotate your veggies about.

Give more sun and less shade.

Be aware that some sweet peppers obtain problems that are just about impossible to eradicate. Local farmer?s here gave up even as the price went up.

Burn and poison rough on your environment and pocket book.

Perhaps just let lay fallow for a year.

Talk to neighbors about your concerns.

Lots of work...you got to love it!

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Apply some ground up corn. I'm trying some grits myself.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

-thanks Rob

Reply to
Jim Carlock

$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...

you want me to eat these, instead of my fresh veggies? :o)

Reply to
longshot

LOL No, I meant try some ground up corn on the soil with the plants with the fungus among us. I'm trying grits (white ground up corn something or another). I noticed something about banana peels and roses. Banana peels help with rose bushes, but I noticed there are incidents of black spots that occur. So I was looking for something to try against black spot. Black spot might not be a fungus... I'm not getting too wound up at the moment about it, but I noticed someone mentioned corn gluten in another thread here or there. So I've got this bag of grits I've used for ants in the past, and one of my tomato plants succumed to some kind of fungus, I think it's way beyond help now, but I'm trying grits anyways. If you wanted to find corn gluten feel free, but I'm sticking with my grits at the moment to see if I can get the same effect corn gluten provides.

I'm not sure what corn gluten really is. I was thinking ground up corn might work. I've got some old corn stalks here and there that I'm slowly breaking up and powdering into the soil that seems to have fungus amongus. The rose bush out front though is getting just banana peel and corn grits for right now though. I'll know in a couple months.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

"Jim Carlock" wrote:

Reply to
Jim Carlock

"Jim Carlock" wrote in

How? I never heard that before.

Reply to
Leon Trollski

"Leon Trollski" >fandom at netguy dot net< wrote: Yeah, our rose bush grew to about 12 feet in height last summer before we pruned it. I had ground up a banana peel in a blender and started doing that about once every three months. I noticed the black spot and was told that is normal. Some of the last peels I messed with have been sitting in a bowl for awhile but I noticed a mold growing on them. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, that mold (green powdery stuff) so was thinking, well if it's bad I'll just throw in some grits because corn gluten reportedly helps control weeds and fungus.

Furthermore, the following page indicates that garlic is to use against various bugs...

list of bugs includes: Mosquitoes, Ants, aphids, leafhoppers, thrips, whiteflies, etc

I don't know but I sure do like what I'm reading. Maybe some- one else that has good success against whiteflies and aphids and misquitoes might comment on the subject. I had a terrible time with whiteflies last year.

One of the corn gluten link and black spot links:

person at the link indicates that edible cornmeal is the black spot preventive measure, while corn gluten meal is a weed controller.

The "Jim Dandy" grits I'm trying seem to be ground white corn. So I'm crossing my fingers.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

in message news:iyg4e.897897$8l.269365@pd7tw1no...

"Jim Carlock" wrote in

How? I never heard that before.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Oops I thought I pasted in what your wrote... this reads better.

"Jim Carlock" wrote: Yeah, our rose bush grew to about 12 feet in height last summer before we pruned it. I had ground up a banana peel in a blender and started doing that about once every three months. I noticed the black spot and was told that is normal. Some of the last peels I messed with have been sitting in a bowl for awhile and I noticed a mold growing on them. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, that mold (green powdery stuff), so was thinking, well if it's bad I'll just throw in some grits because corn gluten reportedly helps control weeds and fungus...

Furthermore, the following page indicates that garlic is to use against various bugs...

list of bugs includes: Mosquitoes, Ants, aphids, leafhoppers, thrips, whiteflies, etc

I don't know but I sure do like what I'm reading. Maybe some- one else that has good success against whiteflies and aphids and misquitoes might comment on the subject. I had a terrible time with whiteflies last year.

One of the corn gluten link and black spot links:

person at the link indicates that edible cornmeal is the black spot preventive measure, while corn gluten meal is a weed controller.

The "Jim Dandy" grits I'm trying seem to be ground white corn. So I'm crossing my fingers.

As far as the banana peels helping with roses... just search google for: "banana peel" roses

You'll find some stuff in the garden groups as well concerning the the information.

Hope that helps.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Yikes! Do you eat fungicide?

Reply to
yippie

I suppose banana's potassium is helpful, beyond that I am unsure if you mean the blackspot is caused by the banana.

Reply to
Leon Trollski

I don't know. I have noticed though that mold and/or fungus does grow on banana peels, and was thinking that it "might" be condusive to "black spot" on roses. It's a long shot, the black spot occurs every year, even before using banana peels for the roses. So I'm currently messing with some grits, mixing some grits with the banana peels to see if the black spot decreases/disappears. The rose roots do like the banana peels and they grow very well when blended banana peels are placed around the top soil.

Was looking for other opinions concerning the topic. Was hypothesizing and hoping others would jump in and say something one way or the other.

-- Jim Carlock Please post replies to newsgroup.

"Jim Carlock" wrote:

Reply to
Jim Carlock

I think blackspot is prevalent in moist outdoor conditions. Make sure you don't water the foliage, don't crowd with other plants, and consider an antifungal powder now and again on affected areas. Best time to apply is on early morning dew.

Reply to
Leon Trollski