Function of carbon in organic fertilizers.

What is the function of carbon in an organic(not to be confused with "organic" fertilizers like chicken,kelp, fish, blood meal,etc) fertilizer as opposed to in organics which don't have carbon?
On 4 Nov 2006 21:07:40 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

Is this a chemistry question? Carbon is the basic element in the molecules of living things. As we know it, without carbon there would not be life, not even bacteria or viruses. DNA molecule strains require carbon as the basic building block. Many "inorganic fertilizers" are salts (such as potassium nitrate) that do not contain carbon atoms. The carbon atom is very unique, both physically and the way it reacts with itself and chemically with other atoms. Diamonds, graphite, charcoal are all carbon atoms, just arranged differently. Use Google to find lots of information. Of course nothing here has much to do with "organic gardening."
It's actually a fertilizer question. We were discussing organic fertilizers in class which have carbon and inorganic fertilizers which don't have carbon. Yeah, i guess it's a chemistry question, but i felt since it was about fertilizers someone who has taken a soils and fertilizer class would probably know the importance of carbon. I think you answered my question. Thanks. Phisherman wrote: