Fruitless Mulberry seeds

These fruitless Mulberry trees have always made seed tassels that are lite and easily blow away to germinate many places around the yard. Two seedlings came up in raised beds, several years ago. Last year I transplanted them into buckets for later transplanting. Today I noticed one had some small spiky seed looking things. I've never seen this type of seed before.
Is this unusual?
Why are these seeds different?
Are these actually seeds?
If they are seeds I'll try germinating them.
--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

Those are not seeds. Those are flowers.
Mulberries produce berries, quite popular with birds and seeded whereever they poop. The berries can be seen in a google image search on "mulberry," or "mulberry flowers" for the flowers.
This is assuming you are talking about the trees known in the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morus_%28plant%29
There appears (from search results) to ba a UK use of "mulberry" that refers to a flower that looks nothing like that.
Personally, I am fond of mulberries, but they are considered an invasive exotic in some places.

--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
| And say it's dangerous to try
snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson)<> wrote:

Some of those pictures look like what I've got. In all the years I've grown Mulberry this is the first time I've ever seen anything like that. Why would they be on seedlings?
How did fruitless mulberry seeds germinate into fruiting mulberry trees?
SW USA
--
:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!
Lord Bergamot wrote:

Mulberry is known for flowering and fruiting precociously.

They didn't. There is no fruitless seed, the seeds are in the fruit not naked.
--
David

:-)
Don't let the Zombies get you!!!!

I have many fond memories of climbing Mulberries. They're shaped for climbing, they have a smooth bark. They attract mobs of birds.
They do make a huge mess.
--
Dan Espen