fruit tree recommendation

Page 2 of 2
Perhaps, but:
- At some point, a pond owner may have to very quickly understand the chemistry of the water, in order to solve a problem that's going to kill the fish beginning tomorrow, or later today. It's good to have the knowledge and resources instantly at hand.
- Regurgitated info: Newsgroups are as likely to exhibit this as any book you might find.

there are excellent up to date pond chemistry sites online. the rec.ponds people know where to find them. and rec.ponds does not regurgitate the same old stuff found in the typical books written by somebody looking to make a buck. people on rec.ponds arent making any money with their advice. I remember back when I started thinking about a pond and the books advice would have cost me somewhere in the area of 5-10K what with all the bottom drains and settling ponds and extra ponds for filtration. right off the bat they will tell new ponders to NOT put in any fish until the pond has gone thru is green stage and stabilized. there are many kind of HOMEMADE and cheap filters, including veggie filters that require ALMOST NO work at all. as for those "gardening" magazines, they are full of incorrect or downright silly information too. rec.ponds is the place to get the BEST information Ingrid

Are you saying that information which is not free is worthless?

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

This I know from my aquarium days. Get the water conditions right, get the plants growing, then add the fish. And when you first add fish only put in a couple. Once you can get a couple to survive then slowly add others a couple at a time until you get the correct amount. The "correct amount" being determined by the amount of gallons, surface area of the water, strength of the filteration, and size of the fish, keeping in mind that it's much better to add fewer fish than too many.
there are many kind of HOMEMADE and

What is a veggie filter"?
Thanks to all those who have reponded to my post!
Patrick
basically, it is an area where plants are grown with their roots directly in the water ... the plants remove the wastes. Some people use a large shallow area to grow water hyacinths and water lettuce. my filter is above the pond, http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/2000/details.htm I put a combination of plants in baskets (which dont really contribute to the filtering) and those set in bare root. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes2.htm the filter is at a right angle and the silt and mulm falls out of the stream of water when it hits the roots of the plants. I only clean the filter in fall when I take the plants out to move them inside. in areas with no winter the filter continues year around. maybe trimming the filter plants as they get too big. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Maybe. Fish eat bugs.

Sun encourages algae.

Cichlids would probably survive in Florida. I like cheap goldfish. You don't mind replacing them when they get eaten. Koi tame easily. Colored fish help you see them. You may never see your cichlids again after adding them.

One rule of thumb is to pump your total pond gallons every hour. You may need to pump more for a successful waterfall.
How many

24 hours 7 days a week probably cost $30 a month or so
Should my pond have some sort of

Filters are essential if you have critters. Plan on several big ones.

I like them.

Bottom drains make the cleaning chores much easier.

No... ponds with any kind of fish are not havens for nasty bugs. you might consider a nice waterfall dropping into the pond. and rather than berms, I constructed a stud wall so my pond is 1.5 feet out of the ground. http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes.htm INgrid

Pat wrote:

Cichlids can be quite colorful. Well... at least the dominate ones in the tank. The problem I see with them is their aggressiveness. If they have room to develop territories, once they get to breeding size, the dominate mating pair will kill every other fish in the tank, and then after laying her eggs she'll chase the male until he is battered/bruised/in a deathly state. I found this true after adding with three to a tankful (100 gallon) of tropical fish. They are one mean species of fish!
Patrick

It depends on the nutrient level in the water, if you add any fertiliser for water plants (or it runs in of your lawn for instance) or you add fish food, or allow fallen leaves etc to rot in the pond then the nutrients will encourage algae. I put some tubs of water lillies in a small pool, these were prepared with rotted manure and blood and bone as lillies are gross feeders, the water turned bright green in a week.
The solution is not algicide but a large graded box filter as part of your pump line, it will remove both rotting organic matter and the algae given time to develop. Talk to your local ornamental pool place - a good one will not only sell you the right stuff but advise you sensibly.
David
Here are some ideas I have since I used to have a pond and I am from central Florida.
1. Frogs and tadpoles will find you! We had so many they would sing at night and keep us awake!
2. Make sure you have good water circulation and some shade over the pond. This prevents algae and also protects the inhabitants.
3. Build you pond with natural filters too. Water plants, and some fiberous materials are available. It's harder to add them after the water is filled in.
4. Start with cheap goldfish and work your way into the expensive ones.
5. If you can buy a filter that you can clean and change from outside the pond, spend the money. I hated getting in there with boots and cleaning the things.
6. If you use a soft plastic liner, try to use rocks and plants to hide it. Also, make sure you have it reinforced from behind welll. It looks much better and elimiates exposed areas from getting dry rot. We had a bird claw right through it and that was the end of our pond and our fish!!
7. Beware of running water seeping into your pond and brining sand from between the rocks.
8. Seal your waterfall with concrete and insulation you can buy from pond sections.
There you go!! Good luck!
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Be careful with the turtle. Some varieties might find your minnows, frogs, and tadpoles tasty.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote:

OTOH, we're building a pond specificly for my almost 2 year old snapping turtle... Gamera has no problem noshing down about two dozen 1.5" minnows in less than 24 hours. sliders, red ears, & map turtles grow much faster than snappers, so will eat more. if you want fish & pollywogs, you don't really want a turtle. you also need to consider hibernation if you have a turtle. unless you're pond has a deep muck bottom, your turtle will have to be hibernated inside in a refrigerator (or a spot that stays at 38-40 degrees F) or it will freeze to death. it is unhealthy to keep a hibernating species of turtle up all winter. i hibernate Gamera for at least 6 weeks, but 3-4 months is better... i had a storage issue & his hibernation tank iced over, so i had to pull him out early this past winter. if he's awake & can't get to air through ice, he'd drown. lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of

On 23 Apr 2006 19:03:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No. When stocked with ruby-red minnows and/or goldfish, the mosquito larvae will be eaten. Surprisingly, properly stocked ponds reduce mosquito populations. Also, mosquitoes will not lay eggs in moving water.

Your location is fine. Many aquatic plants require some sun to grow well. You may have algae bloom issue--but there are remedies such as using barley hay or algae-eating fish.

You probably want to forget about turtles.

Probably not. The ruby reds are excellent. Paradise fish can withstand temperature changes. With a 300 gallon pond, resist the temptation of adding too many fish--ten should be plenty.

The more fish you add, the more filtration required. A 500-gallon per hour is about right. You will need to maintain a filter and clean the pump on a regular basis. Run it continuously.

Keep it simple and as balanced as possible, and they are easy to maintain. I have a 7,000-gallon pond for over 12 years and love it. Fortunately, it is spring-fed and drains to a creek--no pump required!

repost your request in rec.ponds. they are very friendly group wit a lot of experience and many of them right in your neck of the woods. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Paul, Try Maple Valley Orchards @ www.maplevalleyorchards.com Tony Dembski, the owner, is very helpful and will take the time to listen and offer suggestions. He taught me how to graft my own fruit trees which I love to do as a hobby. I'm not sure you're going to find any thing that is not bothered by the Japanese Beetles since we have them here in Wisconsin too. Good luck, John
<DIV>I need a recommendation for a fruit tree that is not bothered by Japaneese beatles and is relatively free from fungal infections.&nbsp; This is for Central Maryland - zone 6</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>thanx</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

I have a Starkrimson sweet cherry from Stark Brothers (starkbros.com.)
Alan (also in central Maryland)

Not sure why you are recommending the Starkrimson cherry as being resistant to Japanese beatles and fungal infections? I had one in my yard here in zone 5 and it grew to a huge size (supposed to be a semi-dwarf) and never produced much more than a few dozen cherries. After about 10 years, we pulled it out.
Sherwin D.
snipped-for-privacy@junk.min.net wrote:

--MS_Mac_OE_3229376504_415246_MIME_Part Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit
about the ONLY fruit trees i've planted which are NOT bothered by japanese beetles (nasty little buggers) is not truly a TREE, but one IS a glorious vine called Akebia quintata { http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/akqu1.htm }--just one thing: you MUST cover the chocolate-coloured blossoms with something akin to bird netting otherwise (another nasty bugger) squirvels will literally fly through the trees to get to them, devour them all, etc., etc)--but you'll still have a wonderful vine whereupon it leafs out in early spring and its leaves stay on til HARD frost; the #2 item is a bush called Amelancher (sarvisberry) which CAN become tree-like if you prune it as such AND cover the little flowers as soon as they've been pollinated!! i've been growing them for NINE years and i've NEVER had a fruit cuz the bluejays, chickadees, titmice...you name them, they'll eat 'em.
good luck and have fun!!!
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.
snipped-for-privacy@macdialup.com