Fruit pickers?

Page 2 of 2
Years ago I saw one of these advertised and it looked simple so I made my own - was not that useful. I would suggest two things: first a step ladder - I have an eight footer which is great for outside work; and, one of those grippers to extend your reach in picking up things. I used my wife's kitchen gripper for the first time this year in picking up chestnuts and it saved my back.
Frank

Weird question here...
What's wrong with using a ladder???
:-o
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Ladders can be difficult to maneuver close enough to the tree, get the front feet through the branches, etc. In commercial orchards all the trees are pruned with accessibility for harvest in mind; not always true at home. Orchard ladders are far easier and safer than stepladders, but they are expensive.
That twister picker looks great, but I have never tried it.
--
snipped-for-privacy@insectgraphics.com
Visit insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs

Well, we used to pick cherries at a local orchard using ladders. :-) They just put up about 6 per tree, and moved them as needed.
They never had more than a dozen or so people in the orchard at any one time.
U-pic cherries.
Gods that holds some good memories! <sigh>
Bing and Royal Anne's.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Although I haven't tried either tool you identified, you may consider using a pruning tool along with your basket tool. This assumes you may be able to extend the basket below the fruit that you clip off with the pruner. Pruners come with poles of a variety of lengths.
Another thought is to build up some semi-permanent benches or ladders that can be kept in the same place throughout the season.
Enjoy your oranges. Oranges will be in short supply this year on the market because of the frost in California. You may be able to sell some of them for a little extra spending cash.
Careful with the ladders!
LurfysMa wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)69494769/ref=sr_1_5/105-9100559-5530826?ie=UTF8&s=hi
(Amazon.com product link shortened)69494769/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_s9_rk/105-9100559-5530826?ie=UTF8&s=hi&s9r1080b60d117c11010d28da17020204
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:21:48 -0800, LurfysMa

This isn't going to answer your question...
I came across this old patent for a Fruit Picker not too long ago while searching for something else:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT174760
I have no idea if it was ever built/produced, but it does look like a unique design. If you can make stuff or know somebody who can, this would be a nice design to build from.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

That's great. 1876. I was just a lad.
I'll hire someone to build one right away. ;-)

Orchard supplies at Frostproof.com show an extension-pole item called Pick-n-Clip
http://www.frostproof.com/catalog/m9735.html

Thanks for that link. I wonder why that didn't come up on Google? I guess they didn't pay the Google fee.
It looks like it has no moving parts. I guess I would wedge the stem in the end and then just pull it off the tree. That's what I do with the wire basket picker, but the oranges don't come off that easily.