Fruit pickers?

Page 1 of 2
I have an orange tree that produces decent oranges. Every year, I have a battle getting the oranges from any but the lowest branches.
Two years ago, I bought one of those pickers with the wire basket, like this one:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)69494769/ref=sr_1_5/105-9100559-5530826?ie=UTF8&s=hi
It works more or less, but there are problems. The claws can be difficult to use, especially if the fruit is close to a branch or another orange. On my tree, the oranges tend to cluster. It doesn't really grab the fruit so I have to pull down pretty hard in order to be able to apply any twisting motion at all. Sometimes I end up tearing off part of the branch. This shakes the tree and causes other oranges to fall and get bruised.
I just did another search and the only thing I came up with is this one:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)69494769/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1_s9_rk/105-9100559-5530826?ie=UTF8&s=hi&s9r1080b60d117c11010d28da17020204
It looks like it might work better.
Has anyone used it? Care to share experiences? It gets good reiews on Amazon.
Does anyone have a better idea or pointer?
Hold a ladder while your spouse or child does the picking!
Dick

better still pay the lad down the road a pittance to do it for you.
rob

I don't want to pick the while tree -- just 6-8 at a time. I picked the whole tree one year and I couldn't eat them fast enough. Most went bad. They stay on the tree nicely for at least a month, probably closer to two. I don't want top haul the ladder out every 2-3 days. The wire basket picker works more or less. I was hoping to get some idea if the grabber variety or something else worked better.

when i season I am up our plum tree every second day. I am dumb enough to clamber along branchs with plastic bag in hand.
rob

Maybe 30 years and 30 pounds ago...

Good attitude.
I don't know how old you are but old men have no business up ladders or trees. We just don't bounce like we used to. Don't let anybody sweet talk to into the arms of potential energy. It can get real ugly, real fast. Pick 'em from the ground or leave 'em. - Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Refrigerated Oranges last weeks for me.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

(sigh) Yes, that will work up to however much space you want to dedicate to that. So I can pick maybe 15-20 at a time.
Doesn't solve the problem and I'd rather have them fresh picked.
What works best for me is a lightweight aluminum 3 legged ladder. That lets you get in really close to the tree. I bought an 8 footer in South Haven Michigan, and it wasn't that expensive.
Sherwin D.
LurfysMa wrote:

That's one of those that are very wide at the bottom and very narrow at the top? Like this:
http://www.ladderking.com/1100.htm

I cheat.
I have a 40 cubic ft. refrigerator... (a Hobart on the sun porch)
But alas, I have no orange tree. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Tell you what, haul your frig over here. We'll pick the oranges together (bring your ladder, too) and fill up the frig. I'll keep the frig until the oranges are half gone and then you can take it away and have the rest. Deal? :-)

Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

You are getting free oranges.

Sweetheart.... you have NO idea what it took to move this Hobart unit, much less what it took to get it into the back porch and on to coasters. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

An inexpensive 18 cu. ft. refrigerator will cost $400-$500 plus tax plus delivery charges of at least. And you want to borrow one for $30 worth of oranges plus you expect delivery? That's chutzpah!
I live in Maryland (just west of Ball-a-mer, the city that slurs, and if you live within 150 miles of me and let me "borrow" it for storing homebrewed beer and mead, I'll pick it up and give you 12 gallons of damn good beer a year.
Dick
On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 02:35:05 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@smart.net (Dick Adams) wrote:

I think you misunderstood almost all of this thread. Too much moonshine?

More likely, not enough shine.

The real fruit pickers use ladders.