Frugal silk plants? Or real house plants?

Real plants aren't hard to keep (if you pick common types that are easy to keep) and they have many advantages. Firstly, they cannot look fake in any way, and they make the house air fresher and smell nicer. They also cost less than fakes and you can save even more cash by buying small ones and growing them.

I have about 17 large plants in my house (between 4 to 7 foot tall), all are real and need minimal effort to keep. I try to buy tougher plants like kentia palms or rubber plants, which are very hard to kill. I only need to water every month as I found these devices that are full of water and are burried in the soil to provide a steady supply of water. They're barely noticable in the pot, and if you put them at the back they can't be seen at all. As for feeding, you can buy those tablets that last anywhere from 4 months to a year, depending on the plant size and tablet brand. Since my plants are so big I use the kind designed for trees which last a year. Watering 12 times a year is nothing compaired to the task of cleaning a fake plant that's covered in dust, so I actually think my real ones are *less* work than fake. They also can't oveflow and make a mess with the self watering devices.

-- Bry

------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via

Bry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

What exact plants do you have?

Do you have a link for these devices?

What are they called and where can you buy them?

John

Reply to
me63401

I have quite a few plants now, so I'll quickly list some and how easy I've found them to grow.

A 4 foot Chinese fan palm in the conservatory: It's not a fast grower, so be prepaired to wait or buy a bigger plant, but it is very elegant and likes bright direct light. So far, it's proven to be very tough.

A 7 foot Kentia palm in the hallway: This does grow fast, so buy a smaller one for less and grow it to save some cash. It seems to like indirect light from several angles, so double aspect rooms are perfect. It will grow towards the light sources, but unlike most plants it looks equally good from behind, so you don't need to rotate it.

A 5 foot yucca in the bathroom: It's tough, grows fairly fast and seems to like the humidity, I'd highly recomend it for a bathroom that can spare the space for one.

Several larger peace lillys: All of mine are in suprisingly dark corners that get indirect light at best, places little else could grow. I find they take an attractive shape in corners and even grow quite fast. Ignoring them (aside from a little watering) is the best way to make them thrive...

Potted ivy on top of several fireplaces: I like to pot a long thin tub with small leaved varigated ivy and put it in the middle of a mantle where it cascades down. Ivy is verging on immortal from my experience, little can kill it, not even drought or dousing with roundup entirely stops it! The only thing I do is clip the ivy to the desired length once in a while, and feed if I'm feeling generous and have time to spare.

A 6 foot rubber plant: This grows at an excellent rate given plenty of sunlight, I highly recomend it for people who don't like to fuss over plants.

Anyway, that's a good starting list of very different plant types which seem to grow with minimal care. And the link you asked for is:

does say two weeks between watering, but I only water once a month and the plants seem to survive nicely. Although some larger plants do have two in each pot and many smaller plants are in bigger pots to accomodate the watering device. I've also mulched the tops of the pots to concerve water, and I use plastic pots inside the decorative ones as ceramics allow water to evaporate faster.

-- Bry

Bry