frugal shrubs?

How about a Holly? We have a beautiful Holly hedge which easily gets to over 6 ft. if it isn't pruned back. I am in zone 9 but I think Holly should do ok in zone 7. Our hedge is probably 30 years old and is joined on one side with a Prycanthia hedge of equal age. The Prycanthia used to be almost trees until the neighbor asked if they could "trim it a bit" Next thing it was around 3 ft. instead of around 8 ft. and nearly dead (thier intention I'm sure, they don't like our hedge)

The Holly will put out suckers though. We just mow over them.

Shell

Reply to
Shell91

Dozens. Are you looking for something to hedge or provide an evergreen screen? Pacific wax myrtle (Myrica californica) is one of the best - native to the west coast, adaptable to a range of light and soil conditions, fast growing, disease and pest resistant, can be easily pruned into a hedge form or left as a more natural screen, drought tolerant once established and widely available. A far superior plant to the more common English laurel or redtip photinias everyone else plants.

pam - gardengal PNW zone 8

Reply to
Pam

I live in the Pacific Northwest (zone 7). Are there any everygreen inexpensive and hardy shurbs (at least 6 ft. tall) anyone can recommend?

Reply to
Mogie