Frozen potato plants coming back?

Hi, Planted in Tucson, AZ,, 2600' elevation. Lost all 24 potato plants during last frost. I never expected deep frost in Arizona this soon in the winter. I'm not sure if anybody else didn't as well.
I still water the dead leaf growth above ground. Am I wasting water? Is there hope?
Next time, four or more inches of straw over ANY questionable planting. Why I didn't this time when I alwys do? ? Why ask such a question?
Thanks folks, Mike

Divide the crop into three sections. Experiment with each one. Mulch one, leave another bare, etc etc etc.... There's a limit to how much advice is valuable. Sometimes you just have to experiment and find out how YOUR piece of property behaves.
I would go ahead and give them a chance. I have had mine frosted before and they always came back and did what they were supposed to.
Dwayne