Front porch losers

These two plants have been on my front porch for years. Their foliage always looks like ****, though they get the same care as others. They bloom occasionally, reluctantly. Basically, just taking up space.
If this pic gets through...
http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/giborah/?action=view&current=Frontporchlosers.jpg
would somebody ID the plants?
What to do? Move them to other location - less/more sun? They get plenty afternoon sun in summer and less in winter. Put them in the ground? Just get rid of them?
TIA
HB
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/15/12 9:06 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/giborah/?action=view&current=Frontporchlosers.jpg
Canna
They prefer full sun. The pots you have are really too small; they need more room for their roots.
I would not plant them in the ground because they spread and eventually can be invasive. In a large bed, however, they can be quite striking when in bloom.
Frankly, I do not like them because, after they bloom, the look somewhat weedy. They can be cut down to the ground after blooming; they will sprout and grow back quickly.
Cannas are hardy to about 15F (-9C) but are not hardy where the soil freezes.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

They also need larger pots, new potting soil (that looks like they're planted in adobe), and never plant directly in plastic/painted pots, planters need to be porous, unglazed/unpainted clay is best.
Add pictures here
✖
On 15/08/2012 18:33, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Why?
--

Jeff

Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 15, 10:33 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

I don't have adobe, so not sure what you're basing that on. I have rich loam, constantly modified with compost and worm castings, inter alia.
HB
Add pictures here
✖

***Silly me; I have tons of (red) cannas in the back yard. I should have been able to recognize the leaf & bloom.
I'll find a spot for those two yellow ones in the ground and will watch with interest to see if the foliage perks up with more room for roots. Yes, I also snap them cannas off after blooming. They grow back quickly and also spread underground.
HB

Add pictures here
✖

***Thanks again to those who encouraged me to GIVE THEM MORE ROOM. I put them in the ground, where they seem to be much happier GORGEOUS yellow bloom!
HB

Add pictures here
✖