Front porch losers

These two plants have been on my front porch for years. Their foliage always looks like ****, though they get the same care as others. They bloom occasionally, reluctantly. Basically, just taking up space.

If this pic gets through...

somebody ID the plants?

What to do? Move them to other location - less/more sun? They get plenty afternoon sun in summer and less in winter. Put them in the ground? Just get rid of them?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Canna

They prefer full sun. The pots you have are really too small; they need more room for their roots.

I would not plant them in the ground because they spread and eventually can be invasive. In a large bed, however, they can be quite striking when in bloom.

Frankly, I do not like them because, after they bloom, the look somewhat weedy. They can be cut down to the ground after blooming; they will sprout and grow back quickly.

Cannas are hardy to about 15F (-9C) but are not hardy where the soil freezes.

Reply to
David E. Ross

They also need larger pots, new potting soil (that looks like they're planted in adobe), and never plant directly in plastic/painted pots, planters need to be porous, unglazed/unpainted clay is best.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Why?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I don't have adobe, so not sure what you're basing that on. I have rich loam, constantly modified with compost and worm castings, inter alia.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

***Silly me; I have tons of (red) cannas in the back yard. I should have been able to recognize the leaf & bloom.

I'll find a spot for those two yellow ones in the ground and will watch with interest to see if the foliage perks up with more room for roots. Yes, I also snap them cannas off after blooming. They grow back quickly and also spread underground.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

***Thanks again to those who encouraged me to GIVE THEM MORE ROOM. I put them in the ground, where they seem to be much happier GORGEOUS yellow bloom!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson