from a dead looking stick

Page 1 of 2
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t/h/theplanter/Confederate-Rose.html
about 3 years ago a friend gave us a dead looking stick and told us if we planted the stick in the ground and watered it once a day for two weeks we'd get a Confederate Rose bush.
I decided to play along thinking there would be some great future laughs concerning how I was tricked into planting a dead looking stick.
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/t/h/theplanter/Confederate-Rose.html
well, the friend was not playing a joke. now I get to enjoy taking cuttings from this bush and telling other friends how if you plant this dead looking stick in the ground you'll get a Confederate Rose bush.
been kind of neat watching this bush being propagated into the yards of friends.
On 10/29/07 1:09 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net, "Jim"

That is neat. I did a quick google and it isn't nearly hardy enough. Would it make a house plant?
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

yea, Confederates don't do well up north, just look what happened to them at Gettysburg.
<g>

I don't know the answer to that.
On 10/29/07 9:46 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net, "Jim"

Snicker! I wasn't even going to go there. I plenty of New Englanders that have headed south, but the few southerners that came north couldn't handle the weather.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[....]
in a different life when I was traveling for Nortel I made many trips to Canada in January and February. it was during those trips I discovered how we in NC should not use the word 'cold' as a descriptor for describing the weather conditions here in NC. it simply does not get cold in NC.

[snip]
Two winters at Fort Churchill made getting back to southern Ontario seem springlike -- but I don't think roses would have grown in the winter --
JimR wrote:

[snip]
Ottawa was the usual destination because the BNR labs for the products I was associated with were located there. I tried to get a summer time trip but never managed it. Buffalo NY was another place where the word 'cold' was applicable.

Hah! Takes me back...
I remember tenting at minus 25 (at which point, ISTR, Celsius and Fahrenheit converge?), during a 10-day mushing trip on the Great Slave Lake. Ah...them were the days..
Persephone

On 10/29/07 8:16 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "JimR"

As I write, it is 6:36 AM and it 28 degrees. And still dark.
Cheryl Southern NH
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

33 degrees at 7:30am and 37 degrees now at 8:16am. It's light out now, and there was a bit of light out then. First frost and the coldest night that we've had so far...weird for it be the end of October, huh?
~Rae

it was 24F here (24.6 actually) at 6:30am. i thought we had more "coastal" warming than you (keeping in mind i'm 30 +/- miles from the coast...).

currently, at 9:33am it's 41.2F & i'm going out to brush a llama (Sally, not to be confused with the chicken named Sally). glad it warmed up. i hate standing around in freezing weather, especially if there's a breeze. lee
We're having a bit of a cold snap here in 84774. It is in the mid forties at night.
Stayed at my cabin 40 miles north, and 4,000 higher last week, and it was 21 at night.
Steve ;-)

At 6:36 AM here it also was still dark and also was 28 degrees, except my 28 degrees were C.
JimR Florida Highlands
On 10/30/07 9:38 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "JimR"
Snip

Blowing raspberries in your direction! I needed the fleece coat this AM.
its noon here and its 66 degrees! milwaukee, wisconsin (on lake michigan)

readandpostrosie wrote:

Hah! I beat you! Its 68 here on the northwest side of Milwaukee. :)
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[....]
34F was the morning low here. we got our first frost this morning YeeHaw!!!
Jim central NC

We had our first night-frost on 24th september, but haven't had one since.
Janet (west Scotland)
Janet Baraclough wrote:

those silver reflections from the mornings first rays of light reaching from the raising sun are spectacular to me. a true joy when timing and being in the right place at the right time allows me to spend a few seconds watching the natural beauty unfold before my eyes.
this year, first frost was a good thick one. not one of those lite spotty patchy ones. yep a nice thick one.
2:30PM 8 Celsius (46 Fahrenheit) sunny clear 1st snow yesterday
Nova Scotia Canada