Freeze Control

Is it possible to use 1 mil.translucent polyethylene sheeting to protect plants from frost or freeze in early spring?
This year my backyard vineyard took a big hit during Easter Week. We had about 4 days of temps down to 28 degrees.
My vines were just getting ready for bud break. The freezes killed 95% of my fruiting buds on last years shoots (pruned to spurs). I have a lot of canopy this year but it is from buds on "Old" wood - wood older that last years growth and these shoots do not produce grapes.
I was thinking that next year I might try using the sheeting over the pruned vines if there is a threat of a freeze in early to mid April.
Any ideas whether this would work?
I have a U.S. Plastics catalog and they sell 1 mil sheeting (9' x 400') rolls for $37.91 and 12' x 400' rolls for $50.79. They also carry the sheeting in 2 mil, 4 mil and 6 mil thicknesses for higher price.
If this would work, it would be worth the money to me. I still have to maintain and spray the vineyard this year even though I will not be harvesting fruit. What few bunches I have, I will donate to the birds and not even put up netting this year.

Look into Remay or Reemay.. Plastic will break down in a year or two. Remay may cost more but it will last longer.
http://www.southernexposure.com/productlist/prods/81617.html
Bill who used to cover tender plants with this stuff.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
William Wagner wrote:

Reemay is spunbonded polyester - still plastic. I cannot address this end use but 1 mil polyethylene is awfully thin and polyethylene has poor stability to sunlight.

Plastic isn't a good choice -- it may actually increase frost damage. You might look at something like row cover -- here's a couple of sources I've found reliable:
http://www.groworganic.com/maincat/n/0067.html http://superseeds.com/products.php?cat
You want the cover to completely extend to the ground.
Kay