Freeze Control

Is it possible to use 1 mil.translucent polyethylene sheeting to protect plants from frost or freeze in early spring?

This year my backyard vineyard took a big hit during Easter Week. We had about 4 days of temps down to 28 degrees.

My vines were just getting ready for bud break. The freezes killed 95% of my fruiting buds on last years shoots (pruned to spurs). I have a lot of canopy this year but it is from buds on "Old" wood - wood older that last years growth and these shoots do not produce grapes.

I was thinking that next year I might try using the sheeting over the pruned vines if there is a threat of a freeze in early to mid April.

Any ideas whether this would work?

I have a U.S. Plastics catalog and they sell 1 mil sheeting (9' x 400') rolls for $37.91 and 12' x

400' rolls for $50.79. They also carry the sheeting in 2 mil, 4 mil and 6 mil thicknesses for higher price.

If this would work, it would be worth the money to me. I still have to maintain and spray the vineyard this year even though I will not be harvesting fruit. What few bunches I have, I will donate to the birds and not even put up netting this year.

Reply to
Paul E. Lehmann

Look into Remay or Reemay.. Plastic will break down in a year or two. Remay may cost more but it will last longer.

who used to cover tender plants with this stuff.

Reply to
William Wagner

Reemay is spunbonded polyester - still plastic. I cannot address this end use but 1 mil polyethylene is awfully thin and polyethylene has poor stability to sunlight.

Reply to
Frank

Plastic isn't a good choice -- it may actually increase frost damage. You might look at something like row cover -- here's a couple of sources I've found reliable:

want the cover to completely extend to the ground.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster