freebies

ah, we asked today if we could scavange bricks from the house that has just had two old fireplaces replaced after the tornado damaged them. a large roll on container is sitting there with piles in it. so far we think we'll be able to do it. will be a lot of work to move them but well worth it as we are always short of bricks/rocks and also any fill i can get by using the old mortar will be just fine too. i have places that can use critter digging deterrents like that...

not that i have time for doing this kind of work right now or that my hand is healed completely, but when things come along like this gotta take advantage of it.

i tried to talk Ma into seeing if we could get the roll on container just moved down here instead of having to do all that work, but she won't... silly... oh well...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Salvage is good - but be careful of the dust ! In the 1960's asbestos was added to things like plaster, mortar, window caulk, as well as the usual places like ductwork, pipe insulation, etc John T.

hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote: ...

i know at least one of the chimneys was over 100yrs old. the bricks are wonderful compared to some others we've hauled in. they've been rinsed by a heavy rain or two already. soot/creosote on some of them might be a concern if it was for garden applications, but these are not being used in close contact with garden soils yet (and likely won't ever be, but even if they are it will be after several years of further weathering).

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Not talking soot/creosote. The danger inherent with asbestos doesn't age/weather away... be very cautious of the mortar from old used brick.

Brooklyn1

Brooklyn1 wrote: ...

not much dust or breathing of such, and it was not likely added back in those days. we're not near any normal sources of such asbestos.

today we finished the last load we wanted, to get more out of the container would have been great, but it would have involved digging a lot of other stuff out of the way.

about a ton and a half of nearly free materials are nice to come by. some will be used in eventual covering up the space that the groundhogs, rabbits, etc like to use as easy hiding and nesting/den sites. when i can get to it i'll gradually fill it in. better to prevent critter troubles if i can.

saved the person some money too as they would have had to pay for extra weight in the container.

songbird

Reply to
songbird