Free poppy seeds!

Free poppy seeds for SASE... http://www.sirinet.net/~hs/poppy.htm
What color?
Dwayne

Will they grow in partial sun, zone 9a? Glad to send you some ginger and canna seeds along with the SASE. zemedelec
On 07 Sep 2003 02:14:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

Check the web reference. It is somewhat unclear about the distinction between "free" and "1000 for $10."
http://www.sirinet.net/~hs/poppy.htm
If anyone knows of a poppy with a 4" seed pod, I'd like to hear about it.
I've grown Papaver somniferum, or breadseed poppy. They're pretty much full-sun plants.
Ginger seeds? Say what?
<< Check the web reference. It is somewhat unclear about the distinction between "free" and "1000 for $10." >><BR><BR>
Not at all. According to the Website, if you send a SASE you get 50 free seeds, if you want to buy in bulk (1,000 seeds) it's $10. zemedelec
50 free poppy seeds...hmmm - these are like grains of sand - you could easily fit 50 on a finger nail and still have a ton of space left over. I saved a few hundred pods when I cut my poppies down in late July - who knew I was sitting on a gold mine?

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:14:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) wrote:

Just leave the seedpod on the plant until it's dry. As I recall (it's been a while) the top of the pod eventually developed little holes and some seeds could be shaken out of the pod, so you need to 'harvest' before a stiff wind knocks the seeds all over the place. There are zippdy-zillion seeds in each pod. If you let a half-dozen pods mature fully, you'll have seed for years and years. These are also, as the alternate name indicates, the poppy seeds used in baking. Good luck with them. Mine were an anaemic lavender -- Red Bombast sounds super!

If I can manage to save some seed from those plants, would you like some? I bought a couple of plants from the nursery this spring. The owner said, "You'll love them. Give 'em a try." She was right -- they just keep cranking out the blooms and they're gorgeous!
Thanks for the hints, Frogleg : )
Jan
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:51:28 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) wrote:

Unfortunately I no longer have any sunny spots to plant in. Thank you for your kind (and tempting) offer. Maybe if Isabel comes through here and knocks down all the trees..? Would love to see pictures, however.
I've seen some gorgeous Ps's growing in Half Moon Bay in northern California, half a mile, if that, from the ocean--red doubles. They were in full sun as I remember, but HMB is a pretty foggy place so unobstructed sun must not have been something you could count on, zemedelec