fragrant flowers for shade or semi-shade?

Hello,
I have a lot of shade. That immediately limits my choice of what will grow. On the other hand, having old maples is a blessing.
Anyway, what flowers will grow in shade or semi-shade AND have a pleasing aroma?
(This is planning ahead for next year. Now is not planting time.)
Thank you for all suggestions.
Ted Shoemaker, certified Gray Thumb
Madison, Wisconsin, US
USDA zone 4/5 AHS heat zone 4/5 Sunset zone 43
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Lily of the valley form a robust shade ground cover and have exquisite fragrance in late May. But the flowers are tiny. In semi-shade, you may get lucky with some of the asclepias. I don't know them all but some have a wonderful smell in July.
Patchouli; jasmine; some orchids; allspice bush, there are some geraniums that are scented also; that's what I can think of off the top of my head!
--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

There are quite a few fragrant hostas. Here's a starting point:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/fraghosta.html
Jo Ann
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Honeybells is blooming in my garden as I type. The fragrance is heavenly!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

If you have animals in your yard, you might want to look into the mints. I used to love it when the animals would brush against all that greenery -- topped with purple flowers, of course -- and the various smells of mint would linger in the air for a very long time.
And I'm not sure (someone double check me on this) but isn't Verbena quite fragrant and shade loving?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com said:

I would also recommend looking into scented hosta varieties.
My hosta 'Royal Standard' is coming into bloom and has a simply *amazing* scent. My 'Guacamole' was planted this year and hasn't bloomed, but it should be fragrant, too.

On 8/16/06 5:57 AM, in article KPmdnR29J5i5cX_ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com,

I have H. "Honeybells" - a gift from a friend - and it too is fragrant.
Have you thought about some of the true germaniums - some of their leaves are scented.
Cheryl
Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.