Fourth of July tomatoes

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly tasteless. Snore.............
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:26:44 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

That was my experience, too. But my dad grows them every year and his taste great. We live about 25 miles apart in upstate NY- same zone, but my garden is primarily sand & his is primarily clay.
For me, this is the first year I've tried Scotia -- and they are very tastey. In mid June I thought I'd get some by July 4, but then the monsoons arrived & it was July 20th before I ate one. The six plants have given me a few 2-3 inch tomatoes every day since. Very juicey & full of flavor.
Jim [who has had just 2 Sweet 100s this year-- and they are tasteless. Unlike last year when they were like candy.]

Interesting...and a friend who's got clay soil is always bitching about how great MY soil is. Maybe I should import a few bushels of hers. I can make dishes out of whatever I don't use in the garden.

I'm done with Burpee! Two years in a row now they have failed to deliver in time for planting in my zone.
--
J.C.

That's weird. I got the catalog in mid-December, ordered the day before Christmas, and the seeds were here 5 days later. When did you place your order?

I usually order within 10 days of getting the catalog. The things I order usually has that disclaimer about shipping in time to arrive at time to plant for your zone. And, they used to do just that but the last two years I had to call and then reject the order. At least they were quick about the account credit.
--
J.C.

As long as they don't taste like Haggis...

No, but last year's zucchini did. Blech.