Fourth of July tomatoes

In case you're easily romanced by catalog descriptions (as I was this season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly tasteless. Snore.............

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That was my experience, too. But my dad grows them every year and his taste great. We live about 25 miles apart in upstate NY- same zone, but my garden is primarily sand & his is primarily clay.

For me, this is the first year I've tried Scotia -- and they are very tastey. In mid June I thought I'd get some by July 4, but then the monsoons arrived & it was July 20th before I ate one. The six plants have given me a few 2-3 inch tomatoes every day since. Very juicey & full of flavor.

Jim [who has had just 2 Sweet 100s this year-- and they are tasteless. Unlike last year when they were like candy.]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Interesting...and a friend who's got clay soil is always bitching about how great MY soil is. Maybe I should import a few bushels of hers. I can make dishes out of whatever I don't use in the garden.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm done with Burpee! Two years in a row now they have failed to deliver in time for planting in my zone.

Reply to
J.C.

That's weird. I got the catalog in mid-December, ordered the day before Christmas, and the seeds were here 5 days later. When did you place your order?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I usually order within 10 days of getting the catalog. The things I order usually has that disclaimer about shipping in time to arrive at time to plant for your zone. And, they used to do just that but the last two years I had to call and then reject the order. At least they were quick about the account credit.

Reply to
J.C.

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As long as they don't taste like Haggis...

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"FragileWarrior" >>season), don't fall for "Fourth of July", from Burpee. Utterly

No, but last year's zucchini did. Blech.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom