Four O'Clock seeds

I would like to plant some of these and according to the package it's about the right time to do so. Do these seeds need to be nicked or soaked before planting? The vague directions on the package don't say anything about this, but I had some years ago and seem to recall that Four O'Clocks require some intervention on my part to help them sprout.

TIA

Jacqui

Reply to
axemanchris

Four O'Clock are typically grown from large seeds, making them easy to plant. They germinate quickly, and grow fast, up to 2-4 feet. Sow seeds directly into the garden just before the last frost in your area. Cover seeds with 1/4" of soil. Space plants 12 inches apart and thin to two feet apart. In addition, Four O'Clocks are propagated by it's tubers. Tubers should be dug up in the fall and stored in the dark, in damp peat moss or sand. Four O'Clocks prefer full sun, but will tolerate partial shade. Note that in partial shade they may grow lanky. They will do well in rich, well composted soil as they are big eaters. Keep soil moist. Add a general purpose fertilizer once or twice a month to encourage vigorous growth. Good Luck!!

Reply to
ricks555

I think you will be OK to just lay them on the ground and rake over them lightly. My 4 O'clocks dropped the seeds each fall and they came up volunteer the following spring. If you could duplicate that action, I believe you will have a nice bed of them.

Dwayne

"axemanchris" the right time to do so. Do these seeds need to be nicked or soaked

Reply to
Dwayne

The problem with Four O'clocks (and morning glories) is that once you (or your neighbors) have them they are hard to get rid of. I have not grown them ever but every year I am constantly pulling them out because my neighbor has them and the birds spread the seeds all over the place.

Reply to
Bill R

I've never had to soak them, I just put'm in the ground, watered and watched grow and grow and grow and grow 4 O'Clocks forever!

Reply to
Starlord

One good note, they are DEATH to Japanese Bettles.

Reply to
Starlord

Like a lot of the hard-coated seeds (morning glories are another that comes to mind), it does help to soak them overnight or nick them the slightest bit before planting so the water gets inside the seed and starts germination asap.

Suzy, Zone 5, Wis

"axemanchris" the right time to do so. Do these seeds need to be nicked or soaked

Reply to
Plant Info