Forthysia not blooming

I have a forthysia bush that only gets the odd bloom around the bottom branches. This has been going on every year. Can someone please give me some suggestions because all around are beautiful yellow flowering bushes.

Thanks Lori

Reply to
Kayla

How old is your forsythia?

Has it been pruned recently?

Reply to
Pennyaline

It is about 12 years old. Is close to a shed and about 5 ft. tall and I haven't pruned it. It's kind of just sitting there and not growing.

Reply to
kayla

Forsythia blooms on year old wood. Prune the oldest canes out right now. If you wait, you'll lose bloom. Don't remove more than a third of the canes but the ones you do cut get down at ground level.

Do the same next year with a third of the oldest canes and again the year after.

You should have a beautiful forsythia but it will take some time.

Loki

Reply to
Loki

How much sun is it getting?

Where are you?

Reply to
Travis M.

It's on the norh west corner of the building and we are in Zone 5 mid western Ontario. It gets the morning and afternoon sun.

Reply to
kayla

we had some forsythia. bloom was erratic. the rabbits were chewing the stems above the "snow" line. also, there was some winter kill. so I first ordered several different forsythia, planted em side by side and put a fence around them to keep the rabbits out. one of these was the best and that one I propagated to fill in when I whacked out the old ones. go to neighbors with great looking forsythia. ask em what they do with em. and ask for cuttings. root em in a bid of dam soil. I lived ontario and either you are around TO and it is mild or further north and get snow every other day in winter and I cant believe you are zone 5, I thought it was a lot colder than that. Ingrid

kayla wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo