Forsythia quandry

This is the second year that forsythia have not bloomed. Midstate NY, zone 5 ... 50 ft row ....six to eight foot high, 20+ years established ...they get trimmed back every summer by mid Aug at the latest so as not to clip off next year's flower buds ...but parts that haven't required trimming also haven't bloomed.

Is this environmental ie our area had winter conditions not conducive to blooming?

TIA, Stew Corman from sunny Endicott

Reply to
scorman

You keep trimming away the flowering mechanism. Try trimming now as you will lose nothing seeing as they are not blooming and next year trim as soon as the flowers become a bit ratty.

Reply to
bamboo

Your forsythia are forming buds not too long after they flower, which is quite early. You are definitley cutting off the buds.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

Reply to
Phisherman

Stew,

  1. Try cutting some of the oldest canes down to the ground. New, younger (and likely more productive) ones will emerge.

  1. Apply a little fertilizer (and water if needed ) during the growing season.

  2. As others have noted, you are pruning rather late in the year. Best time is immediately following flowering season, so that new growth (which will flower next spring) is not removed.

  1. Many folks (including me) think forsythia looks best if unpruned or pruned as little as possible -- that encourages the crazy sculptural form of the branches. I realize it doesn't suit everyone's taste, but if you have space and inclination for that, consider it. It can be supplemented with #1.

Best of luck.

Mike Prager On the North Carolina coast - Zone 8a (Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)

Reply to
Mike Prager

Thanks Mike for your perspective. These forsythia are part of a privacy hedge, so drastic cutback is not an option.

However, if I were to just prune now, by mid Aug there would be 6 foot high spikes ...every year I have pruned the same way and typically have full flowering except these last two seasons.

I am tempted to trim now and not touch it again just to see what happens ...but I think it is environmental, since I have not seen any decent displays anywhere in our area

Stew Corman

Reply to
scorman

If "environmental" means you cutting all the flower buds off in the fall, then yes, its environmental.

Reply to
Marley1372

In article , Mike Prager

Reply to