forgot to water small potted maple; is it dead?

Have a small maple in a garden pot; tree is perhaps 2.5 feet tall. tree is at least 4 years old, but stunted due to pot size. tree needed to be transplanted, but i forgot to water it after its leaves had fully opened this year. the leaves are dead except for a very few tiny wilted leaves that appear to have a bit of moisture still in them. is this tree dead, or might it come back?
In article

Soak it real good and keep your fingers crossed. Pot culture is very demanding the smaller the pot the more attention required I've found.
Don't you just love the English language.
Look at the watering info here.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened) 55>
Aside for Billy
<http://www.ehow.com/how_2098103_drainage-hole-ceramic-pot.html
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

You can tell if it, or almost any woody-stemmed plant is dead by scratching the side of a stem with your finger-nail or a tool. If you find green, it's still alive.
I just went through this with a sun fuschia that I've had out in the side - forever!. Most of the large top stem is gone, but by checking the side stems, I have established where to prune.
Persephone

I got a potted Japanese maple to do beautifully by making big holes in the bottom of the pot and then putting this over some good soil. the roots go thru the bottom holes and the tree was happy it drained well but had constant moisture.
we moved it to rebuild our shed and DH didnt listen to me about digging around the pot and he sliced off the roots and the tree died. I am going to replace this but not in the pot. BTW, those crystals that hold water is a good idea for potted plants like this. good luck. INgrid

Sterlink wrote:

I should certainly hope it's dead... that poor tree cries to be put out of its misery.