forget-me-nots

I saw some of these in a street garden today, and fell in love with them. The leaf is heart shaped like a violet and the little flowers are held upright several inches above the foliage, and are the clearest most glorious blue!

I want to add some to my garden. But I have some questions:

I know they multiply rapidly, but are they invasive?

How cold hardy are they?

Will they tolerate poor drainage (I have clay)

How long do the flowers last?

Does the foliage die back or last the season?

TIA.

Reply to
Betsy

Thanks!

Reply to
Betsy

I have two wild forget me not species growing in various places. I never planted any, they just arrived. One is extremely tiny, & grows even in the lawn. The other gets to be a good foot high, but very thin & easily removed if I don't like where they erupted. They are not the least bit troublesome. I love them, rarely molest them, let them seed themselves wherever they like. They're "invasive" in so far as they have naturalized all around the world in places where they are not native, & can never be gotten rid of, but they don't displace gardened plants so are extremely unthreatening, & I see nothing wrong with them whatsoever. But then, I find lots of weeds just as nice as cultivated flowers, & I even encourage herb roberts.

The larger forget-me-nots, Myosotis scorpiodes, & the diminuative M. laxa, do fine in poor drainage, they will even grow partially in water, but will do badly if things get dry. The common weedy little M. salvatica, I can't really guess what its far range of tolerances might be, but they seem to like well watered but well draining spots when self-selecting where they want to pop up. Here's a little article:

can get the same flowers on a completely different plant, brunnera:
the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Definitely not.

Very. Probably zone 4, if not colder. Don't know how warm tolerant they are, though. They like cool/cold winters.

Yes. They like shady, somewhat wet. I've seen them in the wild in clay, and my parents had them come up in clay soil.

Not sure yet. All mine are seedlings.

They stay in flower for a while. I'm not sure when it dies back.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Reply to
theoneflasehaddock

After looking up pictures of forget-me-nots & brunerra, I've decided the plant was brunera. The lady offered to give me some--yippee!

Reply to
Betsy

Reply to
Brian