Forest Pansy redbud

Here's the dilemma.......I bought two Forest Pansy Redbuds last year in my rabid first year of working in OL&G at Lowes. (among other trees and shrubbery, and many many perennials). One lived quite well, the other, that I planted next to a very long dead trunk of mimosa seemed happy, but when the redbuds were blooming a few weeks ago, I noticed that it wasn't showing ANY signs of life. I scratched the bark to see if any wick was underneath, no green. Some end twigs of the 10 foot tree snapped too easy.

I was going to return it to Lowes (one year, unconditional guarantee, replacement or gift card with total refund, ABSOLUTELY. they like you to bring the dead plant back with the receipt, but most customers if they bring the dead plant back without the receipt, they pretty much honor the replacement) and get another one. I DID pay $29.97 minus my 10% employee discount which actually only saved the tax which is a nightmare here in Tennessee now (a shuddering disgusting 9.75%). I couldn't find the receipt. I never throw them away, but going thru my desk and drawers will be a headache and require days of searching and throwing away many, many accumulated papery things. I have, on the other hand still the bar coded white tag loosely attached to the tree still. And the bamboo it was plastic'd to, also loose. And the identity tag that was on the tree with a stretchy cord with directions on the tag and so forth. I have ALL of those in a huge pile rubber banded and sitting in front of me still. It scares me how many things I got last year, and that the five inch pile of plastic tags only represents one of each variety. That I really got more than one perennial..........oh lord....

My problem----------I was just about to pull up the tree and take it to be returned and credited with another one. No receipt meant taking it to another Lowes and since it's all legitimate, no problem. I even pulled it up and left it sitting next to the dead trunk of the remaining mimosa. Today I noticed little twigs on the bottom of the thin trunk..........with burgandy leaves on them. 2/3'rds of the tree up top is dead. No growth. The roots and lower trunk are still wick. Still alive. Should I cut the dead 2/3rds off at angles and have a stumpy Forest Pansy redbud, or should I take the whole thing in and get another replacement tree that might live this time? Let me know, because if I keep it, fine. I'll cut it and see how it grows. It'll be unusual, but it's still an awesome redbud. If I return it, I need to do it now. That it survived lifting out of it's really good hole and started growing is still amazing to me.......by the way, when I saw the new dark burgandy leaves today, I tamped the soil and root ball back in and watered it. I'm not cruel............

thanks for the opinions. the tally on this will be the deciding factor. madgardener off to pass out now from overworking today (ramble about it later when I can move again)

Reply to
madgardener

It's unfortunate that Redbuds are just so susceptible to various cankers and forms of dieback. As well, unless one is scrupulous about watering (especially in full sun) for the first year or two, the tree can really suffer.

While your tree might half-heartedly leafout, it will take years before it looks full again, and most likely before that happens, opportunistic diseases/pests will ttack it and kill it outright.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

I have a 'Forest Pansy' also, and it limped along for the first year. Not all redbuds are single trunked. I've seen many in the wild with multi-trunks, so you can get a desirable shape from what you have. However, if you have anthracnose (sp?) or some other pathogen, it would be wise to get another and do not plant it in the same spot. If the mimosa died in that spot, now the Cercis, it may be a signal.

victoria

Reply to
escapee

There was no disease involved to my opinion. It was probably due to my being distracted while slaving at Lowes in OL&G...this year, as I am a cashier in the nursery, and not nearly as worn to a nubbins as last year at this time, I can be more diligent with my supplimental watering. I was thinking like you, that the Forest Pansy might be interesting in "shrub" shape. The other one is fine. Despite my NOT watering it at all, it seems to be just fine so far despite the lack of rains. (we're still almost 3 inches below normal for the year, and I can't tell you how the two Eastern redbuds are doing down in my woods......I've been majorly distracted to horrible purportions) Thanks for the thoughts. I may just keep the tree as it's trying to show me it's attempting to live. If it doesn't grow well in the next month or so, I can still return and get another from work. I bought it late summer anyway and have a window of time.....

Updates on Fairy Holler later! Have a great weekend, V. Maddie

Reply to
madgardener

I had the city plant trees in front of my old house. They planted some kind of oak. One died, so they replaced it. That one looked poorly. Then a drunk walked by one day, leaned on it and it snapped!

I let the suckers grow, and when they were a couple of feet high I pruned all but 3 off, and when they were higher I pruned all but one.

Today (10 years later) that tree is about 30 feet tall!

Reply to
Betsy

The message from "madgardener" contains these words:

I've got a small one which has two stems from right low down. FP aren't common or easy to find in the UK, so I was awfully pleased to find this one in 2002. Then we moved house in 2003; no way was I leaving Forest Pansy behind, where he might not be recognised nurtured or appreciated, so I dug him up again, shoved it in a pot, and re-planted last autumn. I gather they hate root disturbance but anyway it has survived, and is just budding up now; quite late.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

That's a plan. I should take a photo of my Cercis texensis. I have been concentrating of shaping it over the last four years and it has a lovely wide canopy for such a small tree. I would say it's about 15 feet tall, but much wider. It is multi-trunked and with my pruning, looks nothing like a shrub!

The good part of Lowes is that their stock is in containers so you can basically plant it any time, as long as you keep up with watering.

You have a good weekend too, Maddie.

Reply to
escapee

I would probably keep it myself, but I have this thing with plants, I can't get rid of them if they are alive. I buy a plant, decide I just hate it, and simply move it somewhere out of the way since I can not stand the thought of composting it. If you don't think you will like the looks of it, break off the little leaves and take it back. If you think you might like a shrubby red-leaved redbud, keep it. I bought one at Lowe's last year as well and it did not bloom (dunno if they even do) when the others did and the others are almost fully leafed out and it is just now starting. I thought perhaps it was dead, I guess it just sleeps longer.

I went to Lowe's the other day and they had a few Golden Curls willows. I loved them. Went back the next night to get one and they were all gone. Doh!

*goes outside to start planting bulbmeister order*
Reply to
griffon