for Madgardner

Hey maddy!

Yesterday was a PJ day here in Western Maine where we are going back into miserable single digits and below.

I spent much of the day perusing

and
and found an incredible wealth of information on Clivia.

Of course, there are a lot of sirens calling on these 2 sites, especially with the wind howling outside, and I need Temptation calling me like I need a pierced nose ( VBG).

I thought of you, yesterday, when I turned my Monster in the Corner Clivia and found 3 fans closest to the north window sprouting flower scapes ( ducking for cover).

This morning I picked the 4 softening berries from last "spring" blooming, cleaned the seed and planted 5 of 6 from self-pollination. (one was obviously not going anywhere except compost.) I tucked them gently on warm potting mix, sealed them in a plastic zip-lock, and parked them on top of the Fridge. Who knows what will come of it, but I sure didn't spend any money.

It will be a long spell of cold before I see anything outside except snow and ice.

Sue

Reply to
Sue

I know this was aimed at Madgardener but I had to say thanks for the urls. I just got a Clivia Minitata and it's currently sporting 13 beautiful orange with a yellow throat flowers which are not quite all the way open. I don't know much about these plants so I plan to read the information on both of the sites you posted thoroughly.

Shell

BTW Pic posted in abpg

Reply to
Shell

OOOOOOOOOOhh Shell! Lucky you! ITS Gorgeous! Looks like a good situation for it in your home, no direct light..... heck it makes its OWN sunshine when it blossoms like that. I can hear Maddy's shrieks and gnashing of teeth, already..... Calm down, Maddy.. this will happen for you! The anticipation is as good as the Event!

Its not yet ready for you to be practicing plant fertility, Shell, but when the longer Styles open to 3 visible lobes, you can tickle the styles with pollen from the stigma and create your own self-pollinated seed.

You are most welcome for the urls.

My writing hand is itching to make out a check to Mr. Jim Shields, LOLOL, but the Sirens are too loud for me to decipher the Names of the Songs.

I'll practice what I learned yesterday, so maybe I'll be worthy of a present to myself before all his goods are sold out. That Said, where the he// am I gonna raise more Monsters of Dark Corners??????

Why am I not remembering that I "gifted myself" this spring with 3 Jacobean Lily, and those 3 have already divided and need to be tended? I planted them as Spikes in a huge pot of Firecracker Pelargonium, now I need to tear the whole pot down, put the Sprekklia to bed and re-pot the Pel.

Must be that time of winter when the sun is growing stonger, feeding the Sirens, whose names are want, Want and WANT, not MUST, Must, must.

Sue

Reply to
Sue

"Sue" expounded:

I know it gets cold up there, but I love western Maine. Southern Maine, too.....I love Maine, period! We own a house in southern Maine, someday we'll live up there. It was 20 below there last week. BRRRRRR!

Reply to
Ann

I have to admit I got it already in bud but hey it was a good price and I had some Christmas money to spend :)

I will probably wait till next year to try any polinating since I have some protea seeds to try :) I do love the more unusual looking flowers

My wish list is getting longer every day :) The family is threatening to rebell if I bring any more plants in the house.

My biggest problem is deciding what to buy when I see so many beautiful plants and gorgeous orchids and then I see more beautiful glassware or a large box of stamps for a good price :) The joys of collecting more than one thing.

Shell

Reply to
Shell

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

oh HELL, I watered the clivia the other day.........................................:( I'm NEVER going to get her to bloom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sounds of me gnashing me teeth............... maddie

Reply to
madgardener

Hi Maddy,

I was able to get a couple of Clivia from an interesting website for what I consider a very reasonable price. They are seedlings, but much cheaper than any I've seen going on ebay. Check it out at:

don't have a lot of variety, but since I only wanted one or two to give it a try, I figured this worked for starters. My plants arrived very healthy and now I must wait a couple of years for blooms I suspect.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Bledsoe

Maddie, maddie, calm down, Shell has one scape with 13 flowers, and she confessed it was in scape when she bought it.

Oh, yes, a PJ Day is when you stay in your PJ's all day beside the woodstove on your day off because you are just toooooo damn sick and tired of the cold.

Sue

Reply to
Sue

SPLORK!

Mad, don't look at it for a month or so!

Sue

Reply to
Sue

Nice to hear there are others who do this. I call them Flannel Days, when I just stay in my flannel nightie all day long.

Felice on c-c-c-cold Cape Cod

Reply to
Felice Friese

Reply to