For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

Page 3 of 3
opined:

All you need is any cheap bag of high nitrogen fertilizer. Try not to get it on anything but the stump you are trying to decay. In addition to the nitrogen fertilizer, also put about a five pound bag of sugar on the stump to seep into the holes you drill. The carbon in the sugar will help expedite the process
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

it on

nitrogen
into
process
Yup....
In composting of woody material, nitrogen is needed--if not available in the form of green clippings it can be always be added in chemical form.
Not sure about the sugar though, as in this case there is already plenty of carbon in the stump.
--

SVL

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:39:24 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

Yes, but the carbon in the stump is not immediately available for it to mix with the N and get the heat process started. It's just a temporary expeditor, or catalyst to help the N work faster. It also feeds the microbes which will further break down the stump and large roots.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

How long would it take for a stump say, oh, 6 ft (or 1.8 meters) in diameter and 2 feet (or 0.6 meter) in height to decompose this way given a Southeast US climate?
billo

How is a high nitrogen fertiliser labeled?It is not 10-10-10, right?
escapee wrote:

Ike ???
Is that you ???
The magic number is above 40.......
<Sigh>
--

SVL

I am not Ike... Which magic number are you talking about?
escapee wrote:

Okay, just wondering.....
44--sometimes 45 IIRC
--

SVL

opined:

No, higher. One of the more idiotic types with, say, 40-10-10.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

No. 10 percent is low. Garden ferilier is often 15-15-15 which is 15 percent nitrogen and standard lawn fertilizer is 23-?-? which means 23 percent nitrogen. Amonium nitrate will give the highest amount of nitrogen and is 35 percent nitrogen (if I added up the atomic weights correctly). Potassium nitrate is only 14 percent nitrogen.
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

Any farm/fertilizer/lawn care/etc. store. Simpler to just buy any standard fertilizer, especially sacks of ammonium nitrate. You buy this stuff anywhere else and you will pay 4-5 up to 20 times the price.
No chemical will desstroy the stump except maybe fuming sulfuric acid which would turn it into charcoal. The chemicals put in stumps are just nutrients to speed growth of decay organisms--primarily any nitrate.
Ignoramus32760 wrote:

You are technically right, but in combination with rain and the elements, the stump will decompose. I used a 1" spade bit, drilled a lot of holes and poured composting chemical into the holes. It literally took years for the stump to wear away. A new tree sits in its place.
snipped-for-privacy@email.msn.com ( snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) wrote:

Drill holes in the stump, fill with sunflower seeds, wait for the wild life to find, and dig them out. Repeat as needed. :)
Put Carnation Powdered Milk in the holes. It will rot/disolve the stump.
TOM KAN PA wrote:

Actually, this is probably a good idea. Milk is pretty corrosive. My husband is a truckdriver and we were in the truck with him for a few months and my 4 year old spilled a gallon of milk on the floor, which ran out onto the stainless steel fuel tanks and it ate the finish off the tanks!
Milk is technically considered a hazardous material.
amy