For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

There's another device I've seen for pulling stumps. It's a homemade gadget made from a metal tire rim and a piece of I-beam and a couple of pieces of chain. It's basically a big lever to pry the stump out of the ground with the tire rim acting as the fulcrum.

Reply to
The Watcher

In article , The Watcher >saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??

Your problem may be that you are drilling holes into the ground, rather than into the stump. Try drilling into the stump. That way you won't "pump" diesel into the ground.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

How long would it take for a stump say, oh, 6 ft (or 1.8 meters) in diameter and

2 feet (or 0.6 meter) in height to decompose this way given a Southeast US climate?

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

Reply to
The Watcher

In article , The Watcher would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into

There is a difference between "pumping diesel into the ground" and saying that there *might* be some diesel that is incompletely burned that escapes into the ground.

So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

Reply to
davefr

You are technically right, but in combination with rain and the elements, the stump will decompose. I used a 1" spade bit, drilled a lot of holes and poured composting chemical into the holes. It literally took years for the stump to wear away. A new tree sits in its place.

Reply to
Abe M.

Yes, since it's a safe bet that if you pump some diesel into a stump, some WILL get into the ground around that stump.

Unknown, but I'd be willing to bet that SOME would. Since one of the reasons I moved into the country was to live out here, I'd prefer not to pump any diesel into the ground if I have a choice in the matter. If that means a little more work with a pick and pry bar, I'll do the extra work.

Reply to
The Watcher

I'd take that bet if you'd want to come watch me fill my lawnmower tank. I fill my tank very carefully, and usually don't spill ANY gas on the deck, much less on the ground, so I'd say it's a safe bet that I'd put less fuel into the ground than somebody who deliberately pumped some into a buried tree stump.

Reply to
The Watcher

In article , The Watcher >stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you

On what grounds would you bet that some would? My experience has been that diesel, when exposed to high heat and flame, burns pretty well.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

you

On the grounds that diesel spreads out any time it isn't tightly contained, and tree roots wouldn't contain any liquid tightly.

There might be some high heat and flame in there, but there would probably be some low heat also, and there would also be some areas that wouldn't get any flame unless you dug down there and exposed them to fresh air, and if you were going to do all that work you could just as easily dig up the roots anyway.

Reply to
The Watcher

feet thick (deep). It is sitting out in my garden...on a path (that's as far as I could move it). Can I grow mushrooms in it? Out in the garden? With full sun exposure? Gary

Reply to
gary davis

stumps are better than logs but they should be left where they are (in the ground). You cannot grow mushrooms in full sun, although turkey tail mushrooms (pretty, but marginally edible) make it.

Reply to
simy1

stumps are better than logs but they should be left where they are (in the ground). You cannot grow mushrooms in full sun, although turkey tail mushrooms (pretty, but marginally edible) make it.

Reply to
simy1

Gawd almighty. Just when you think you've heard everything.

I've been on this blue rock for 60 years and never heard of anyone "moving" a schtump. In order to plant 'taters, you must've removed the whole thing, including the roots.

If I have some extra bread, I'll call the pro to grind it to 6" below ground and fill in with dirt, but more often than not use an ax until it's at least ground level. Sometimes it takes weeks.

Moving a damn schtump! Go figure.

BroJack

Reply to
Bro Jack

Oops, now that it's out other fungi might have already laid claim to it or will have by the time you purchase and recieve your plugs. Next time then...

Meanwhile, you can trim and polish it for use as a table. Like this:

Pen