For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

Page 2 of 3
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 12:01:37 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Bill Oliver) wrote:

If you think ANY stump is watertight you might want to try drilling into a few of them. I wouldn't bet on any stump containing anything completely. Yes, you would be pumping it into the stump, but it will be escaping from the stump into the ground. Stumps interact with the soil around them. That's their purpose. If they were liquid-tight they wouldn't do much good for the trees, would they?

There is a difference between "pumping diesel into the ground" and saying that there *might* be some diesel that is incompletely burned that escapes into the ground.
So, let's say I pump 1/2 liter of diesel into a into a 1 meter high 2 meter diameter stump. I then burn that stump to the ground. How much of that 1/2 liter do you actually claim will be (a) unburnt and (b) in the ground?
billo
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:25:56 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Bill Oliver) wrote:

Yes, since it's a safe bet that if you pump some diesel into a stump, some WILL get into the ground around that stump.

Unknown, but I'd be willing to bet that SOME would. Since one of the reasons I moved into the country was to live out here, I'd prefer not to pump any diesel into the ground if I have a choice in the matter. If that means a little more work with a pick and pry bar, I'll do the extra work.

On what grounds would you bet that some would? My experience has been that diesel, when exposed to high heat and flame, burns pretty well.
billo
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:01:01 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (Bill Oliver) wrote:

On the grounds that diesel spreads out any time it isn't tightly contained, and tree roots wouldn't contain any liquid tightly.

There might be some high heat and flame in there, but there would probably be some low heat also, and there would also be some areas that wouldn't get any flame unless you dug down there and exposed them to fresh air, and if you were going to do all that work you could just as easily dig up the roots anyway.
I bet there would be less fuel that manages to saturate/permeate completly thru the stump and finds it's way into the soil and remains unburnt than the fuel you spill filling up your lawnmower tank!!
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 20:49:37 GMT, don' snipped-for-privacy@there.com (The Watcher) wrote:

I'd take that bet if you'd want to come watch me fill my lawnmower tank. I fill my tank very carefully, and usually don't spill ANY gas on the deck, much less on the ground, so I'd say it's a safe bet that I'd put less fuel into the ground than somebody who deliberately pumped some into a buried tree stump.
If you have the right type of tree why not consider mushroom plugs. You can harvest mushrooms for a few years then the stump turns to mush you can scoop up with a shovel and compost.
http://www.mycosource.com/shiilogs.htm http://www.fungi.com/plugs/index.html
On 6/3/04 9:03 PM, in article
wrote:

Tell me more. I have a filbert nut tree stump about four feet wide and 1-2 feet thick (deep). It is sitting out in my garden...on a path (that's as far as I could move it). Can I grow mushrooms in it? Out in the garden? With full sun exposure? Gary

stumps are better than logs but they should be left where they are (in the ground). You cannot grow mushrooms in full sun, although turkey tail mushrooms (pretty, but marginally edible) make it.

stumps are better than logs but they should be left where they are (in the ground). You cannot grow mushrooms in full sun, although turkey tail mushrooms (pretty, but marginally edible) make it.

Gawd almighty. Just when you think you've heard everything.
I've been on this blue rock for 60 years and never heard of anyone "moving" a schtump. In order to plant 'taters, you must've removed the whole thing, including the roots.
If I have some extra bread, I'll call the pro to grind it to 6" below ground and fill in with dirt, but more often than not use an ax until it's at least ground level. Sometimes it takes weeks.
Moving a damn schtump! Go figure.
BroJack
Oops, now that it's out other fungi might have already laid claim to it or will have by the time you purchase and recieve your plugs. Next time then...
Meanwhile, you can trim and polish it for use as a table. Like this:
http://www.whittlerwoodcraft.com/big-table.jpg
The stuff I got at home depot says to drill 1" wide, 12" deep, and then make a sideways hole at a downward angle that joins the straight down hole in the stump. I just drilled 3 or 4 straight down holes using a 1" wood spade bit, about 8" deep. My tree stump was something hard, so I used a corded milwaukee 1/2" drill. I started with my 18V Bosch, but I knew that would die quickly because of the hardness of the stump

And what chemical would destroy the stump?

Potassium nitrate.
--

SVL

and where could I buy it?

Hardware store, plant nursery, or at the home and garden dept at many variety stores--labeled as "Stump Remover"--read the label, diesel or other hydrocarbon fuel will help if you intend to later burn the stump.
Bulk quantities are available at wholesale chemical houses and pyrotechnic materials suppliers........
Beware, stump removal grade is *not* generally not pure enough for pyrotechnic use, so suggest dont get any bright ideas about making explosives or other 4th of July demonstrations with it.
Enuff said ???
--

SVL

So, the basic idea is, drill holes, pour KNO3 powder, add diesel fuel?
Wouldn't that be an immediate fire hazard?

cool.
I already had those bright ideas...
How about ammonium nitrate, can it be bought? I used it in Russia in my garden all the time.

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Go figure--bigger fishes elsewhere........
Seeya.
--
SVL