For Drilling Holes In Tree Stumps

Page 1 of 3
The idea is to drill holes and fill with a chemical to break down the stumps.
Would a manual bit brace do the trick, or would you use a battery-powered hand drill. What size? Length of bit, etc.? Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@email.msn.com ( snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) wrote:

3/4" self feed auger bit, in a hand drill. Don't need to go terribly deep, standard 6" bit will do.

Thanks to all for responding.
The bit was $24 at Lowe's. The cheapest drill to handle it was $89. (They tried to sell me a drill for $199.) Worst of all, the potassium nitrate instructions said it would take 4-6 MONTHS to soften the wood for burning. The internet led me to believe it would take 4-6 WEEKS.
Can't rent a grinder because I have no truck to transport it back and forth.
So it's back to the old method I used for the other stumps: An ax and a lot of sweat. There are only 3 stumps remaining anyway.
Sure woulda been nice to find an easier method. At age 60, swinging that ax beats the hell out of my hands and wrist joints.
Thanks again.
Jack
snipped-for-privacy@windswept.net (BroJack) wrote in wrote:

Sounds like the KNO3 method is tantamount to turning your tree stump into a compost pile, except with industrial strength reagents.
For faster results, you could try drilling more smaller diameter holes instead of just the one. Most people have 3/8" drills, an 8" long bit is another story. If you're stuck with a short length bit, you could always drill a pattern and whack the stump a couple of times to increase the depth and available surface area. Adding water periodically would probably accelerate the results, along with warmer temperatures and. All this being theoretical, never had to do it myself.
Got to go, good luck.
[rec.gardens]

Home Depot will rent you the truck when you rent the grinder.
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:20:54 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Actually, I had a stump ground out about 6 years ago in Dallas and it cost us about 45 dollars for someone to come do it.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

That sounds about right. I asked a tree service about grinding (I'm in western Canada) and for the three stumps it worked out to about $200 CAD. This service charged by inch of diameter.
djb
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:52:57 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Hell, I'd be happy at that price. Internet says $300-400 per tree average. Estimate scheduled for today. Let you guys know.
Jack
040604 2008 - escapee posted:

I was watching a program on the building of the Erie Canal a few years back and one striking accomplishment I noticed was the method used for removing tree stumps. They had two huge wheels, looked like about 4 horses high from the drawing, with an axle between the two. The axle was placed over the tree stump and a chain was fastened around the axle and then around the tree stump. Chains were then placed around the wheels and then to a team of horses and the wheels were pulled forward. The leverage was such that the stump would easily be removed. It was said that this method was quite effective for its time.
indago wrote:

Mechanical advantage is the bomb.
But who can store a wheelset four horses high?

There's another device I've seen for pulling stumps. It's a homemade gadget made from a metal tire rim and a piece of I-beam and a couple of pieces of chain. It's basically a big lever to pry the stump out of the ground with the tire rim acting as the fulcrum.
I'd go about 6-8" deep with a 1/2" or larger bit (preferably auger) using an electric drill.
Then I fill the holes with diesel and give it about 15 minutes to saturate the stump. Repeat once more than lite it.
After a few days there won't be a stump.
Don't do it if the surrounding area is "at risk" of also catching on fire.
Another method is to cover the stump with charcoal and lite it. The charcoal will burn out the stump.
snipped-for-privacy@email.msn.com ( snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com) wrote in message

Or you could just do the most logical and easy thing, rent a stump grinder
$1.00 worth of diesel or $75 rental fee + 2 round trips to the rental yard.
Sounds like a no-brainer to me!!
On 3 Jun 2004 18:55:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

(Chet Hayes)

Yeah, $1.00 worth of diesel, a couple days spent watching and tending it while trying to burn it, getting permits for an outdoor fire or paying the resulting fines in most municipalities, worrying that the fire may spread somewhere else, then finally renting the stump grinder when it won't burn away.
(Chet Hayes)

grinder
They WILL burn away. They WILL decay away. It just depends how long you want to wait.
Steve

Of course, some people don't care much for the idea of pumping diesel down into their soil either. ;)
"Pump diesel into the soil"???
No, you fill the holes you drilled in the stump with the diesel. It'll saturate the stump and then burn. Get it??
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:41:30 GMT, don' snipped-for-privacy@there.com (The Watcher) wrote:

Ah, so you're sure that none of that diesel will go into the soil? I wouldn't bet on that happening. Get it? ;) Diesel isn't one of the things I like pumping into the ground.

Your problem may be that you are drilling holes into the ground, rather than into the stump. Try drilling into the stump. That way you won't "pump" diesel into the ground.
billo