Food for bees

I asked the beekeeper. There is a zone of about 50 feet where bee excrement is concentrated. It is evident in the deeper green color of the grass in the summer, and in the brown smudges on the snow in winter. He did not feel that this would proclude a planting of clover near to the hive. He really wants that clover. So that's the direction we are taking. Molly

Reply to
Molly

Very interesting. I have an apple tree right next to my hives. It's been there for about ten years. The yield has not increased noticeably since the bees arrived some three years ago. I thought it would. Also, a lady along the road used to keep bees before I got mine. A Ceanothus in my garden was always covered in bees when flowering. Then she moved away. My bees live about 20 feet away from that same shrub and they rarely go near it.

Steve

Reply to
stevebowtie

Fascinating. I never knew von Frisch's work was thought to be merely

Yep - nice fat controversy there. There are, of course, folks that think Dr. Wenner's hypotheses are not all that and the proverbial bag of chips either.

Me, I think they are both interesting reads, but I figure I'll leave understanding the dance up to the professionals - the bees.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Benson