fluorescent lamps?

I have a question about fluorescent lighting.
I have an old school desk that my dad refinished years ago and gave to me. Its a wonderful old piece of history. I have converted it to holding my african violets. My question is 2-pronged:
Do ordinary fluorescent lights provide a decent wavelength for plant growth or only the fluorescent "plant lights"? (the reason i ask is now i can buy fluorescent "screw in lights" for replacing in a standard lamp, i think.
Is there a tabletop fluorescent lamp I can purchase?
Do incandescent "plant lights" do any good? (it seems like i have read they dont)
thanks for any advice.