Flowers on parsley?

It's always been my understanding that parsley flowered in its second year, but mine are (theoretically) first year plants, purchased from a garden center, and they're flowering. Why?

...in cold climates. In warm climates typically it is an annual.
Sounds like your parsley got a big head start in a greenhouse, and is now finishing its lifecycle. Next year, use more of it sooner; that helps to delay flowering.
    Una
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:43:58 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

It may have been "fooled" this is its second year. I start fresh parsley from seed every year. It is very easy to grow, all you need is sunshine, water and a little patience for the long germination time.

I ran into a problem starting seeds this year. It's a fungus called "forgot". :)
JoeSpareBedroom said:

temperatures at some point such that they were 'tricked' into blooming.
Vernalization is a legitimate technique to get artichokes to flower the first year, or when growing artichokes as annuals in climates that are too cold for them to winter over.
It's a pain in the ass when it happens to your leeks, beets, parsley, etc.
Typically triggered (when unwanted) by a very late frost or cold snap.
Happened to my leeks last year. We'd had an unusually heavy frost in very late May.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

You're describing a typical early June in Rochester NY. 3:00 in the afternoon - 85 degrees. Midnight - 36 degrees. Drives the peach growers crazy.