Flowering Basil

My basil has gone nuts this season (a good thing) but is now flowering profusely. Will the taste be affected by flowering, like lettuce? Can I just cut it way back with some shears and still have quality basil?
-F
Pinch back the bloom on basil to preserve it longer. Like all plants when it goes to seed it will consider its job is finished, completed its life cycle and will begin to decline.
Wil
--

"Fleemo" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...
On 28 Jul 2004 11:56:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Fleemo) wrote:

Harvest Basil before it flowers. Most of the time I get 2 or 3 clippings from Basil. Clipping it will cause it to bush out more.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Phisherman wrote:

I have a crazy growing Basil too. Basically I have been grabbing entire stalks instead of leaves (I never really asked HOW I was supposed to do it so I sort of just did my thing). If I keep doing this and never give it a chance to bloom will it retain it's usefulness for awhile?
I made a salad the other night with no other kinds of leaves, just Basil. I had heard the idea from somebody else. Basil, cherry tomatoes, onions (I used green onions) some grated cheese, olive oil. ohhhh yeah
Or clip the blooms and use them to decorate a salad. Carolyn
(Fleemo) wrote:

Carolyn LeCrone wrote:

We grow cut flowers. Basil gone to flower is sometimes added to bouquets to add some fragrance. Purple basil works quite well for this.
I once kept some basil plants for 4 years by pinching the flowers back.
Fleemo wrote:

Basil is an annual. Once it finishes blooming, it dies. To delay this, remove all flower buds before they open. Pernnial herbs such as thyme, mint, sage, and rosemary survive quite well after blooming.
I found that basil flowers and flower buds are bitter, not as tasty as the leaves. On the other hand, the flowers and buds of dill (another annual) are at least as tasty as the leaves; dill seed is often used as an herb.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean