flowerbed mulching help pls

Page 2 of 2

Many people in the group don't like landscape fabric (assuming that's what you mean by fabric and not just black poly), but I use it and I like it.
Depending on the condition of your dirt you may want to take this time to add any compost or general amendments before you cover it with fabric and mulch. If you are really concerned about water, you could always bury a soaker hose in the area before you put the fabric down. I don't think this is necessary or if you will have problem with it freezing in Canada.
When I did it, I just laid the fabric on top of everything (including weeds), cut places for plants, put in the plants, and dumped large pine bark nuggets everywhere. You may also want to plan some accessible locations if you want to add bulk amendments later.
Read this, the last part is mostly two people arguing about landscape fabric despite the Subject line:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&rnum=1 &thl0,919549015,919519154,919436706,919498259,919200421,919094047,917944077,9 17940791,917748311,915718999,915964570 &seekme5acb2.0406211104.3ff20531%40posting.google.com#link6
IME that black fabric only works for a year or two because as the organic mulch breaks down it makes a wonderful area for new plants and weeds to grow. With gardening there comes weeding but also IME once the plants fill in they tend to choke out most of the weeds. If I don't see it in my beds aiongst the plants I don't bother pulling it up unless it is something like violets and those purple flowers that grow in the lawn like mad, we've always called them forgetmenots but that's not what they are..... maybe creeping Charlie???? Colleen Zone 5 CT