flower or weed? help!

I'm not a master gardener, in fact I'm just a pure beginner. Last year I spread some wild flowers around the side of my house and now lots of things are growing over there. I'm not sure all of them are flowers though. Take a look at these pictures and help me identify what is growing over there. Thanks,

Dave

Dave Smith

the way they look? do they add or detract from the garden? do they obviously not belong? make your own decision. who cares what someone else thinks of them.

the only weeds i know of are Himalayan blackberries, which i suspect have roots that reach to hell itself.

-kelly

Reply to
culprit

plants with names on them.. but I should be able to see if it's a weed or not..and I'll give a guess at 'em .. I KNOW at least one ;-)

2196 a ranunculus buttercup .. if it sends out runners and had little yellow flowers..then that's it.... sorta potentilla like but..then not 2190 not a weed. 2191 not a weed. 2192: California Poppy .2193: depth of field .. the camera thought you were taking pictures of the ground..take another picture and try to show the crown of the plant if there is one as well as a good portion of the plant .. at least for me. Someone else may know right off.. I don't want to say WEED, because could be something.. 2194: I think it's linum.. blue flax.. with california poppies around it 2195: Lupine

Now I'll see what the real answers are. I cannot pull the name outta my head that I want to say for 2190, 2191.. brain ain't co-operating. But there will be lots of folks who know!

Janice

Reply to
Janice

One common definition of a weed is any plant that grows where you don't want it!

Thank God you are not a master gardener, otherwise you would really be confused!

The ones that are already blooming with small nondescript flowers are most likely ones you want to remove.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

2195 is . . . . . Lupine?

A couple others are familiar, but it will take some more coffee before the names come to me.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

poor soil fertility and poor drainage.

2190 and 2191 appear to be a member of the Boraginaceae family, most of which are weedy annuals or biennials at best. 2192 is California poppy, Eschscholzia, a freely seeding annual. 2193 - haven't a clue :-)) 2194 is most likely Linaria purpurea, aka toadflax,a weedy perennial that also self-sows freely. 2195 is a lupine seedling. Could be native or cultivated - hard to tell at this stage. 2190 & 2191, 2192, 2194 and 2195 could all be remnants of the wildflower mix. 2196 is most definitely a weed.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Thanks for the help. I'll yank the boraginaceae and leave the rest for now. This side of the house isn't seen much so it is fun to see what happens when I shake seeds out of a box.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Smith

Great assessment! Usually "wild flower?" seed assortment contains seeds that many people consider noxious weeds. There is little need to say a weed is a plant growing in a place where gardeners don't want it. When buying a "wild flower" seed assortment, know what the assortment includes.

John

Reply to
B & J