Flower ID needed...

http://postimg.org/gallery/ozu41uk8/d73e8198/
I saw this on my walk today and love the color of the flower. Included is a pic of what look like seeds.
Can anyone ID this flower? Are the seed-like marble sized 'things' seeds? Can I plant them?
I'd Google Image search it but I have no idea of what to call it. Bulb? What?
Any help appreciated
thanks
*
On 10/21/2014 3:22 PM, elfa45 wrote:

Canna, a perennial.
I don't know about propagating them from seed. They might not bloom the same color. Flowers come in white, yellow, gold, orange, red, and combinations of those. Leaves might be green or variegated with red or yellow.
I would strongly recommend buying plants from a nursery, but only when they are in bloom. Otherwise, you will not really know what flower color they will have.
Cannas do okay in temperate climates where the soil does not freeze. They do best in climates with hot summers and mild winters. They require full sun, regular irrigation, and rich loose soil.
Actually, I am not fond of cannas because I don't think they are attractive when not in bloom.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

There are some with superb leaf colour that do look exceptional in leaf especially if they are planted so the sun shines through the leaves. Pretoria is probably the most common of those but there are better forms available with red, yellow and orange stripes. Yet others like C. musifolia are grown just for their leaf shape and colour , as the name suggests they look like bananas, and those you certainly don't want to flower as it spoils the effect.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:45:19 PM UTC-7, David E. Ross wrote:

I have several patches of canna. The foliage is an attractive dark red, but the bloom period is not long. When flowers wither, I break off plant. Always come back big next year..
So. Calif coastal
HB
.

Thanks for the quick reply, David. I live in Marin County CA...just north of San Francisco. Until recently, we were in the 90s...only recently dropping down into the 70s like today.
Did a Google Image search for them and the pics refer to them as Canna Lilies.
For years my main garden flower was the rose but this last year it's been bearded & dutch iris. Getting ready to plant more/different bulbs for Spring and I thought I could just stick these in the ground for more color.
thanks again
elfa45
"elfa45" wrote ...

Then the problem for you will be keeping them damp enough. When in full growth they like lots of water indeed the best I've ever seen them grown is as bog plants despite them often being sold as coping with drought. I remember in Malasia seeing them where they had taken over a very shallow lake completely, stunning sight.
Lots of varieties around... http://www.hartcanna.co.uk/catalogue.html
Our problem in the UK is that to get them to flower most years we have to start them in a greenhouse and then plant them out otherwise they get killed by frost before flowering. Also in a hard winter they may not survive in the ground.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
"Bob Hobden" wrote

Fool that I am a UK based canna nursery is no good to you, try this one....
http://www.plantdelights.com/Article/Canna-Lily
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.