Flower ID

I started watching this plant last year when it appeared in my yard. The basal leaves hugged the ground and I mowed around it. It never grew but it never died, staying green this past winter. It started growing this year and I've been watching the buds (it has several.) This morning it bloomed and what a surprise - the petals look papery and the leaves are bristle like. The flower looks like a tulip but the foliage doesn't look like any tulip I've seen (or planted.)
Ideas?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22689682@N00 /
Kate Nashville TN
It looks like red poppy "... papaver rhoeas
Try this link for more information http://www.botanical.com/site/column_rita/flanders.html
Good Luck
Dieter L Pietryka Owner/Photographer Blitz World Enterprises snipped-for-privacy@blitzworld.com snipped-for-privacy@blitzbiz123.com snipped-for-privacy@att.net http://www.blitzworld.com / http://www.blitzbiz123.com /

Dieter Pietryka wrote:

Thanks! However, it's orange and either a biennial or a perennial although it does resemble red poppy in flower looks.
Kate

On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:19:41 -0500

[]
Looks like a poppy to me too. I've got some bright lemon yellow growing that a friend gave me, so I know the color can vary. Mine stay in a tight mound, either perennial or so successful at self-seeding as to make no difference.
-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelkadell.applecom

Plant Info wrote:

Yes. it's in a good spot. I'm turning the yard into paths and filling it in with annuals (zinnia's and sunflowers to sell) and perennials (daffodils, tulips, St johns Wort, Echinacea, Milkweed, Cinquefoil and trees.) So it fits right in. :)
Kate