Flower ID

I started watching this plant last year when it appeared in my yard. The basal leaves hugged the ground and I mowed around it. It never grew but it never died, staying green this past winter. It started growing this year and I've been watching the buds (it has several.) This morning it bloomed and what a surprise - the petals look papery and the leaves are bristle like. The flower looks like a tulip but the foliage doesn't look like any tulip I've seen (or planted.)

Ideas?

Nashville TN

Reply to
kate

It looks like red poppy "... papaver rhoeas

Try this link for more information

Luck

Reply to
Dieter Pietryka

although it does resemble red poppy in flower looks.

Kate

Reply to
kate

[]

Looks like a poppy to me too. I've got some bright lemon yellow growing that a friend gave me, so I know the color can vary. Mine stay in a tight mound, either perennial or so successful at self-seeding as to make no difference.

-E

Reply to
Emery Davis

Looks and sounds like a poppy

Reply to
CHEX

Kate- The others who have responded to your plant ID question here, are correct - It's a poppy. When I was a kid, my mother grew loads of that type of poppies. I never knew the "official" poppy name like the other posters gave you. They are much larger and the plants are larger, than most poppies that we see. The blooms are usually about 4 - 5" across.

I remember not seeing any of those poppies for several decades, and then about 3 years ago, I bought some wildflower seeds and put them out in in a section of my yard, and one of those poppies came up. I was so delighted to see it. I tried to successfully collect the seeds, and replant - but I failed.

I'm glad to see the other posters post the "official" name of them. . .Perhaps I can locate some seeds on the internet.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Thanks everyone. Poppy it is.

Papaver orientale 'Prince of Orange'

Peace,

Kate

Reply to
kate

Oh my, a beautiful poppy, and apparently a perennial. Hope you like where it's planted -- they HATE being moved! Suzy, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Plant Info

Yes. it's in a good spot. I'm turning the yard into paths and filling it in with annuals (zinnia's and sunflowers to sell) and perennials (daffodils, tulips, St johns Wort, Echinacea, Milkweed, Cinquefoil and trees.) So it fits right in. :)

Kate

Reply to
kate