Flower ID?

My wife just picked up some flowers from a local fair.
Can anyone help ID these?
(Midwest USA)
http://tinyurl.com/nsqk2as
http://tinyurl.com/oz5trt5
Thanks
DirtBag wrote:

looks like a phlox to me, but i'm not certain as i can't really see the flowers that well...
songbird

Coxcomb/celosia, I think.
On 9/26/2015 3:41 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

If they have a very good fragrance, then possibly peonies.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Nope...not even the leaves resemble peony.
On 9/26/2015 5:32 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:

I cannot grow peonies in my climate. The winters are too mild. The last time I saw peonies growing and blooming was seven years ago in Delaware and Pennsylvania. Thus, I could not remember how the leaves look.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:51:23 -0700, "David E. Ross"

Come visit in the spring and I will happily have you stroll through mine.
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:51:23 -0700
<snip>

I was looking for a photo to show my neighbor yesterday and came across these:
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-1.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-2.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-3.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-4.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-5.jpeg
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/peony-6.jpeg
Nothing special really but thought you might enjoy seeing them again :)
We've had these peonies ever since I can remember, probably ~50 years...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Nice photos. I like peonies and they grow very well here in the Catskills, plus deer don't eat them, but I don't plant any as their flowers don't last more than about a week before their weight tends to collapse the entire plant unless very well supported... for most of the growing season a peony bed is just a jumble of non descript green shrubs that require a lot of weeding. My next door neighbor has over 100 peony plants in a large bed that was planted when the house was first built, about 1890. He's always offering me some but I tell him no thank you, I'd rather enjoy yours.
On 9/29/2015 5:11 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

I was told by a local nursery that, to grow peonies, I had to buy a length of chicken wire or bird mesh about four feet wide and long enough to make a cylinder about four feet in diameter. In early November, I would have to slip this cylinder over the plant and keep it filled to the top with ice cubes until sometime in March.
I can't grow Dutch tulips either, except as winter annuals. On the other hand, I have a rosemary bush growing at the foot of my driveway that is taller than I am and a dwarf lemon tree that produces more lemons than anyone can use. When I prune my roses at the end of December and the beginning of January, I often collect a bouquet of roses for my wife. And I have never shoveled snow.
There are trade-offs for living in a mild-winter climate.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 07:59:02 -0700
<snip>

Not a problem here ;) Last winter I had snow shoveled 3-4 feet deep over the area where those peonies are. This picture is from Feb 2014, not quite as deep as earlier this year. The row of peonies are about 8 feet to the right of the driveway, along the right edge of the picture. The tall stake (PVC pipe) sticking up would be in the middle of them. It holds a rain gauge in warmer weather.
http://www.iserv.net/~lfisk/winter2014-02.jpeg

You lucky dog! (shoveling snow), but good exercise. No problem with tulips here either. The Holland Tulip festival is held maybe 35 miles WSW from here:
http://www.tuliptime.com/

Yea, you grow a lot bigger BUGS too!
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On 2015-09-29 14:59:02 +0000, David E. Ross said:

David, may I ask which USDA zone you inhabit?
On 2015-09-30 00:29:57 +0000, Amos Nomore said:

Oops, disregard - I found the info on your (cool) website.
On 27/09/2015 10:05 AM, David E. Ross wrote:

Nope, they aren't paeonies. I agree that it's coxcomb - that flattened wide top to the stem is the clue IMO.
On Sat, 26 Sep 2015 18:41:45 -0400, Boron Elgar

http://cdn2.johnnyseeds.com/images/product/large/1705.jpg
Boron Elgar said

Thanks to you all! Clearly a Coxcomb (my picture was not so good.)
http://tinyurl.com/p7px4ko
What a nice flower.
On 2015-09-26 20:42:02 +0000, DirtBag said:

Dianthus.
On 2015-09-27 01:23:16 +0000, Amos Nomore said:

Retracted. Celosia looks right.
On 27/09/2015 11:23 AM, Amos Nomore wrote:

Nope. Nothing like Dianthus.