Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries

Page 1 of 2
I've recently come across some articles that mention you can make your own "non-toxic" rat/mouse posion by making a 50:50 mixture of regular/ corn flour and cement powder. They eat the mixture, then go in search of water. Once they drink some water....game over. I have a few specific questions, in relation to this D.I.Y. rat poison.
- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?
- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space), will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a drink of water? The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God- awful smell to contend with a few days later.
- Is there anything that can be added to this mixture that would make it extremely enticing to rats and/or mice? e.g. Powdered parmesan cheese, sugar, salt, a little soy/fish sauce, some type of finely chopped meat (raw or cooked)? I am just taking a wild guess here, as I don't know what would attract them.
- Most of all, would tile grouting powder, used for bathroom tiling, work just as well as cement powder in this D.I.Y. mixture?
I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Never heard that one. But any bait poison runs the risk of the animal dying somewhere in your house. In 99% of the cases the carcase just dries up. Or flys find it and it gets eaten by maggots.
On 1/26/2011 8:30 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I agree. You take a chance with poison baits in the house. After getting one bad stink a couple of years ago from a poisoned mouse, I now use traps only.
I don't know about flour/cement but rats do not have a throwing up reflex and once they eat something, it has to pass through their digestive system where it may kill them.

Yep. I find that D-Con works wonders and the animals don't smell for some reason. I keep a bait box with it in the basement and find and occasional dead mouse - never smelled one for many a year now.
The 'flour/cement' is an oldy home recipe. Just as enticing to pets as it is to rodents. Needs to be in places the pets can't get to just like any commercial poison.
Harry K

Maybe it's D-CONcrete in it dat kills 'em!
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 04:58:22 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag

If you have rodents in your attic then you are very remiss in sealing their entry to your house... believe it or not it is quite easy to eliminate entryways. Seal your house and if rodents are still present set traps... they obviously have free roam of your entire house because rodents cannot live without food and water... also eliminate their access to your food... you are definitely feeding those critters or they'd not be there.
Gas Bag wrote:

An overdose of vitamin D will kill them, use that.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty

Then if it worked why wouldnt someone be selling it. My dogs wont eat cement I dont think a rat will. I use poison inside, traps are a pain. The smell of a dead mose is gone in a week and so are all the mice. With traps its a constant battle you dont know if you ever win. Do both, traps and poison
In article

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they were "mousers".
--
- Billy
When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the

Why did you put your cats outdoors, you ignorant POS... you need to be poisoned... actually I'd be happy to tie you into a sack with a few bricks and toss you into a lake.
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:52:01 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?
Animal cruelty.
jellybean stonerfish wrote the following:

Keeps them clean and free of burrs, ticks, and fleas. Keeps them from getting killed by cars, dogs, or cat haters, or being carried away by hawks.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:25:23 -0500, willshak wrote:

Would you be happy, living a comfortable life in a jail. Most cats need open space to explore. Deprived of that, they get depressed.
replying to ransley, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote: They smell the flour in the mixture and eat that getting cement as a by product which kills them.

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

I've thought about it, but the little rat keeps running away ;O)
--
- Billy
When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:46:39 -0800, Billy wrote:

Time to bring the cats back into the thread....

Being "humane" is the reason I will never, ever use a 'glue trap' again. One time was enough to turn my stomach.
Harry K
On 1/27/2011 9:59 AM, Harry K wrote:

You should see what a rat trap does to a mouse. The look on the face of the little mouse conveys extreme surprise and shocked disbelief after the bar crushes its little backside. The last ultrasonic squeak of WTF in mouse-speak is frozen in its tiny countenance forever or until it is consumed by other smaller vermin or it desiccates and eventually turns to dust. :-)
TDD

Quite a lot of replies, but I am hoping someone can actually respond specifically to my queries. Where I may place a flour/cement mix, there would be no other animals, only rats or mice. Totally sealing up the roofspace 100% is not a viable option at the moment.